Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Critic vs Collector

Everyone knows that I dismiss Hirst because he doesnt care about making anything. He's just another wealthy participator 100%. So that big damned figuration cannot be anything worthwhile...to himself or to us. But thats just me.

Marketing and commercial venturing and compensations and commissions and pleasing folks and chats with critics, reviewers and students are all part of the grind of sustenance. All that is the greater part of the day that is unspectacular. Its also the easy part.
I relish the difficult part, the rare part, the part of experience that allows for seperation and yields inapplicable awakenings. Hughes will kick everyones ass with his languaging...better not cross him. But I cant hear any words in the heat of a better moment. The tools, the heavy metal music blairing, the straining, the sweat squeezing out, the complaining junk, the duress, determination and desparation all have me consumed and concealed. When I exit there is a cold beer waiting and a porterhouse steak coming shortly thereafter (because I took care of THAT at another time while tending to "business").

I like what Steve said in the other thread about making "one" piece of art. Maybe its all for that. The solving of perception perhaps rests there, when THAT thing (and its definitely a THING) gets accomplished. Perhaps the REAL artist is headed there. And I'm sure that it is something that cannot be shared. So it goes.

The "realness" of an artifact does not lie within the collar size of the artist, but it DOES lie within the focused preparation for the event. The training. The good stuff comes from knowing that your burst of creativity is better than its product. The box score is never as good as the ball game.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Level 10 user

grhb,
perhaps it's just a question of whether you do more talking about work, or actual work. It's hard to empathize about ditch digging with a guy wearing a suit.
Demonstrating intellect also means you're up to a challenge-- a target for itchy palms. (hold still a minute, wouldja?)
Old 04-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
The "realness" of an artifact does not lie within the collar size of the artist, but it DOES lie within the focused preparation for the event. The training. The good stuff comes from knowing that your burst of creativity is better than its product. The box score is never as good as the ball game.
I want to affirm your sports analogy with....sports!

My coed soccer team has been undefeated in over about 3 dozen games. That is an impressive stat in a sport like this, but what the stat doesn't tell you is that in a number of games we were behind, occasionally by as many as three goals during part of the game. In one case we were behind right up to the last minute.

My team believes in and supports each other, we don't get down and start feeling like we are defeated when things don't seem to be going right. Sometimes we do everything else right but its one of those days where you just can't seem to buy a goal..people are hitting the goal posts or cross bar, or their keeper (goalie) is having the game of his life. But we know that as long as there is still time left on the clock, we can win or at least tie this thing. And we do, somehow.

We are also a good second half team. Many teams can keep up with us for one half, but not two. We play as a team, not a bunch of prima dona individuals who hold onto the ball too long. So we are passing well and making the opponents run more than they would like. On many coed teams the guys inexplicably do not pass the ball to the ladies unless it is a last resort option. Aside from being selfish, it is foolish, because they wear themselves out and don't play the field smartly by spreading the ball and having the defense chase. On my team everyone is a player. If you are open, you get the ball. Very simple, but its doing the basics well, the training as evaldart mentions, along with the harmony and focus, that keeps us at the top of our league.

Well, that's it for sports. Now for the weather. Partly cloudy and gorgeous outside! Enjoy another great day!
Old 04-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Level 6 user

gromm,

Whether I'm a pimply teen pencilling harleys on my schoolbook covers or Damien himself, the ideas stand.

The personal stuff is a baiting technique, and I play too, so hey, I can take it.

I figured a brick in the window was coming poking at E like that. The image of him proudly defiling a muse without knowing his tubes were tied just seemed to funny to keep to myself. cheers all gotta 10-hour drive ahead a me as I'm in the Gaspé.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Level 10 user

Ideas alone don't get the job done. ya gotta actually DO it. Don't waste my time if you're only sitting there dreaming.
10 hours to where?
Old 04-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Level 6 user

Beg to differ, ideas are the job--the work is the practical application. Here i write ideas; the studio I make ideas and carry them out in materials.

10 hours to Quebec city along the coast. The Perce rock is a pretty thing bathed in sunset light; you can almost touch it from the inside the swarm of motel rooms surrounding it.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhb View Post
Beg to differ, ideas are the job--the work is the practical application. Here i write ideas; the studio I make ideas and carry them out in materials.

10 hours to Quebec city along the coast. The Perce rock is a pretty thing bathed in sunset light; you can almost touch it from the inside the swarm of motel rooms surrounding it.
well you seem to have no trouble thinking, so maybe you need to up your expectations in regard to execution.

tourist trap hell?
Old 04-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Level 5 user

oh well there goes another good string down the gurgler :-}.

heres another quote. this... time my own

"art critic or art cynic?"
Old 04-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusted_art View Post
oh well there goes another good string down the gurgler :-}.

heres another quote. this... time my own

"art critic or art cynic?"
okay, back to topic. Maybe the critics' gleeful moments are building egos to dizzying heights for the sole purpose of giving that swift jab to deflate the pendulous bobbing ego. It's a kindness really, without that clinical cut, any rabid dog could sprint by and tear that fleshy blob from your shoulders. Much harder to repair?
professional artist wrangler?