Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > New Technologies
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Level 1 user

Question What is the best Rapid Prototyping?

I am trying to find the most detailed rapid prototyping method and specific machine/material used for it, can you help?

The best I can find now is Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) with a 0.15mm required minimum thickness on any feature. Does anyone know of something which can produce more detail than that?

Thanks,
Old 12-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Level 6 user

Re: What is the best Rapid Prototyping?

you need to specify more information about what you need:
total size of the part?
desired material properies in the part (wax, resin, plaster, plastic, metal?)?
budget?

typically, machines that offer a high resolution can only handle a very small size (more like jewelry)
wax, resins, and plastics are the more typical materials, but others are possible

DirDim (Michael Raphael with www.DirectDimensions.com) posts here often-- he'd be the one to ask.

I use the ZCorp 3d printer which uses a resin-modified plaster, but it's not what I would call a high res machine-- more for medium size parts at an economical price

good luck with it, and let us know what you find out.
Brad
Old 12-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Sculptor

For the record (and I'm sure you know this), 0.15 mm is about the size of a dot at the end of a sentence in most newsapers. As Brad says, machines with that resolution probably would be used for such tiny objects as jewelry; otherwise they would be overwhelmed by data-storage requirements or production costs.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Level 4 user

Checking in this morning, HNY!

Thanks for the plug Brad! Between this RP thread and your other scanning/enlargement thread - great topics and debates. I wrote a lengthy argument posted on the alt.sculpture forum several years ago on this. I will try to find and re-post here. Brings up a lot of benefits for the digital technologies.

As for this topic, the question of 'best' RP depends on many factors. There are probably a dozen manufacturers of machines these days and dozens the number of materials. Each has a place, purpose, and 'best fit' for different applications.

Some specialize in material properties, some accuracy, some speed, some cost, etc. A great resource is the Castle Island site.

We frequently help artists deal with RP questions. Our main biz is the 3D scanning side, but since so often its for physical reproduction we help with that too. We don't RP in-house so we find the 'best fit' for the application and outsource it or tell the artist where to get it.

I'm happy to help further.

Michael
410-998-0880
info@dirdim.com
Laser Scanning by Direct Dimensions, Inc.
Visit Direct 3Dview and Waldies Comfy Clogs at waldies.net
Old 01-08-2007, 01:53 AM
ISC Member

I think that the best place for a sculptor to start to explore the exotic world of rapid prototyping is Bathsheba Grossman's fantastic web site. http://www,bathsheba.com
Old 02-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Level 1 user

Re: What is the best detail Rapid Prototyping?

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I'm looking for detail above all else, what is the best process/machine for detail?

Thanks,

TMAdam
Old 02-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Level 4 user

You should check out the Viper from 3D Systems, the Eden from Objet, and the the new desktop Perfactory system from Envisiontec. These seem to be the most applicable RP systems for small high detail object reproduction.

If you are looking to purchase, then you need to examine the type of material each uses, the post-process cleaning requirements, cost of raw material, build times, floor space, venting, required accessories, etc.

If you are looking to oursource the RP, we recommend several service bureau's but depends on the nature of the parts.

A good resource to learn all about RP is the Castle Island site

Hope this helps,

Michael
410-998-0880
info@dirdim.com
Laser Scanning by Direct Dimensions, Inc.
Visit Direct 3Dview and Waldies Comfy Clogs at waldies.net
Old 11-12-2008, 05:21 AM
Level 1 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirdim View Post
You should check out the Viper from 3D Systems, the Eden from Objet, and the the new desktop Perfactory system from Envisiontec. These seem to be the most applicable RP systems for small high detail object reproduction.

If you are looking to purchase, then you need to examine the type of material each uses, the post-process cleaning requirements, cost of raw material, build times, floor space, venting, required accessories, etc.

If you are looking to oursource the RP, we recommend several service bureau's but depends on the nature of the parts.

A good resource to learn all about RP is the Castle Island site

Hope this helps,

Michael
this is great it really helps, brilliant article man... for rapid prototyping ideas..
Rapid Prototyping
Old 11-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Level 6 user

What is the final size of your piece? As all the above have stated, the high res machines are used for small pieces and don't have very large build envelopes. You could obviously build in parts and them assemble but it'll run into some serious $.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
What is the final size of your piece? As all the above have stated, the high res machines are used for small pieces and don't have very large build envelopes. You could obviously build in parts and them assemble but it'll run into some serious $.

True, as I discovered a few years ago when I was looking this, myself. I found that the size limitations of most RP processes (with the exception of CNC carving of foam) was way too restrictive, especially with respect to the costs, which were, at the time, outrageously high, even for the smallest pieces. It was completely infeasible for producing salable sculpture of any size, so I gave up on the idea and decided to use renders of my digital sculptures as reference for hand-crafted works in traditional media.

I'm sure sculptors like Bathsheba Grossman have no issues with the costs involved, though. She's been at it a long time and has most of the equipment she needs to do her own RP. Someone just starting to get into this, though, is going to have to spend a lot of bucks to get anything made.