Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Level 1 user

Ceramic Sculture by Michael Mick Need Help!

I have adquired a ceramic by Michael Mick signed and dated 1988 - in doing some research about the artist I found that perhaps he was the creator of an sculpture already in display at the Polk Museum of art here in Florida. He is a local artist and I also was able to see some similar pieces at his Memorial page with the NAIA (he died in 2002). Can someone provide me with additional information about the artist, how would you describe the piece as I always attach information on the items that I have collected - just in case I should no longer be around and my daughter is left with the task of sorting out the "mess", The item is approx. 11" in diameter by 9 1/2" tall. All information and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry about the "Whatever" name I have - just got a little upset after my 10th attempt at registration. http://www.ssb6.net/users/21894/p1000970.jpg
Old 11-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Sculptor

Re: Ceramic Sculture by Michael Mick Need Help!

Based solely on this picture, I'd say it is a two-piece ceramic with black sand filling the space between the two pieces. The sand probably has been solidified with some sort of binder, probably polymer (plastic).
Old 11-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Level 1 user

Smile Re: Ceramic Sculture by Michael Mick Need Help!

Thank you very much for your reply. Based on the fact that the artist was somewhat known and that I was able to find the attached quote:

Lennie Bennett described one of Michael Mick’s Sculptures in the St. Petersburg Times - published January 9, 2003:

“Michael Mick's Star Journey is a ceramic pod carved with cuneiform that could be a celestial map from a lost civilization. Ovoid and primal, with a glaze that looks as if it had been singed hurtling through the Earth's atmosphere, the vessel sits like a serene and mysterious alien under glass.”
“The late Michael Mick, a ceramic artist who, near the end of his life, turned to assemblages of found objects that resembled boats (one of them is in "Journeys"), left a large collection of his work and that of fellow artists. It will be on view and for sale at the Dunedin Fine Art Center, with proceeds going to his estate.”

What amount of work goes into a piece such as my piece, and what value can anyone (of course a guess), put on a piece like this, if it was their artwork?

Thanks,
Sandy