Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2008, 05:08 AM
Level 1 user

Wall Mounting Figurative Work - Please...

Problem: I want to wall-mount highly detailed small-scale figurative work, and I just can't find suitable mounts anywhere online.

The medium is resin and marble dust, and weight is no issue at all.

Ideally, the wall-mount wouldn't interrupt the "integrity" of the pieces in question, so it would treat them like museum pieces. I don't have the budget for custom-made mounts, and have been experimenting with welded screws/threaded bar and connecting nuts, with time-consuming and unsatisfactory results!

I hope someone can help with this, as its been a headache for waay too long now, and a deadline looms.

(PS I know there are threads on this topic, but they don't quite deal with my problem)
Old 05-12-2008, 07:04 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Wall Mounting Figurative Work - Please...

Is it possible to post a photo of the piece? Hard to guess at unless we see it.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Level 9 user

Aw yeah i got totally stumped by this a while back so i never did the wall pieces i wanted to do. There must be a way to get an invisible mount, but i couldn't figure it out. So i'm not replying with ANY useful info, sorry, but i'll be watching the thread & see what comes out.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Level 10 user

Not being able to see the work, I can only speculate here, but couldn't you use a small bolt with the end bent into an "L" shape. Screw that into a stud and then create a slot on the back of your sculpt that would accept the L piece without spinning (I'm thinking something made in a quick set epoxy). You can push the L piece into the epoxy and then lift it slightly creating a perfect fit that will never spin and can still be removed. It works like a key hole slot that you see in woodworking.

If that's too hard to understand then you can try mating wedges. Screw a small piece of wood onto the wall that has a wedge shape at the top (facing away from the wall, so that it creates a negative shape for the mating piece). Then (if the back of your piece is hollow) you attach the mating wedge piece, upside down so that it fits into the negative shape on top of the other piece. As long as the wall piece is level, there should be no problem with the sculpt staying on. Make sure you predrill and countersink the wood piece that goes on the wall.

Good Luck, I hope you figure it out in time.

Alfred
Old 05-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Sculptor

I've done something similar to what Alfred suggests, for modest pieces in the art school where I took classes. Essentially drilled a small hole into the back of the piece, maybe only 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep, where it could be mounted on a small nail or screw in the wall, and removed or changed at will. Also tiny bits of thin felt at 2 to 4 corners to minimize swing and to permit close adjustment for horizontality. The hole was drilled at an upward angle, something like 45 degrees
Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 PM
ISC Member

Also try a keyhole slot. These bits are made for routers. Makes a good invisible mounting. Makes sculpture look like it is floating.

Carl
Old 05-12-2008, 11:04 PM
ISC Member

"Z" bar is your answer. You can use aluminum transition molding in some cases. One piece goes on the wall the other goes on the back of the sculpture. Here is a link to an image on google you can see what it looks like and conjure something up from your local hardware store to do the same thing. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Hope this helps,

"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You do not quit when you're tired -You quit when the gorilla is tired. -Robert Strauss
Old 06-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Support!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baadman27 View Post
Very good!!! Support ! ://gosuperplayers."]thsale

://www.iae-longre./country/UK/"]留学英国 ://www.iae-longre./country/USA/"]美国留学[/url]://brogame."]wow gold ://www.iae-longre./country/USA/"]留学美国
I'd suggest folks not click on that URL above, it's saying one thing partly in Chinese while it goes somewhere else, reporting as spam, munged it so it's all visible

Old 06-06-2008, 05:44 AM
Level 9 user

Those are some excellent ideas. The mating wedge thing is something i could make in bronze & the Z bar is something like a person could find by the metre & probably the easiest of all, and seems like it would really take weight if its being used to hold up climbing walls.

Keyhole slots are one thing i have tried, but never worked too successful cos of the usual twisting that tends to occur & the need to absolutely ace the thing dead straight & balance perfect, or its not good...

thanks heaps for those ideas! I can make those wall pieces now. Shame i don't have a gallery anymore to hang em in ha ha but i'm going to look round for a better one soon. Maybe. I'm enjoying belonging to nobody. But they are good for getting rid of yr sculptures, so you can afford to make more.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Level 1 user

Thank you all for your prompt and helpful replies.

The Z bar idea will help me with panel work, but the figurative work will, I think, need something a little more dynamic. I'm thinking of an angled rod I could screw into the wall, but I may be barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks again for your time.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/Colmpaschal/kleinplastikrecords3.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colm Lawton kleinplastik 3(smallWEB.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	8597