Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Level 8 user

reality TV " sculpture Park "

Okay I know that this will turn some of you off, but wouldn't it be cool to set up a reality TV show with sculptors, living together for a summer, creating a sculpture park? What do you think? Should I spin it? I could see the drama, the fun and of course the art. Put down some ideas who knows maybe we can get the buzz, at the same time create a kick-en sculpture park. .
just a thought?
All the best,

Mark
Old 06-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Level 10 user

Re: reality TV " sculpture Park "

sign me up!
Old 06-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Level 10 user

Excellent idea! People seem to be fascinated with watching artists whether it be plein air painting, cake decorating (current reality show on Food Network), or sculpting. Sculpture can take a while to produce the finished product but with enough people participating, progress could be shown randomly on different pieces to keep the interest going.

A lot of artists are pretty private people and might be reluctant to want to be on t.v. but ya never know. What good exposure it would be.

Maybe at the end of the season's show there would be a judging of the best sculpture. The award could be a new sculpting studio as well as placement in 3 of the finest galleries in U.S. or abroad.

Get the buzz going Mark... You'd be a fun guy to watch on the show as can be seen by seeing your video clips on your website. :-)

Contact the networks! We sure all would be setting our DVR's to tape that program...
Old 06-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Level 3 user

I could see Brovo being interested, since they already have shows for fashion, cooking, interior decorating, and hair stylist. Course theres junkyard was and the like on discovery channel.

But Ya could be interesting.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Level 8 user

Im going to spin it to Brovo, plus I have some friends in the business who may help.
who knows, maybe?
all the best,
Mark
Old 06-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Level 10 user

Why not, there's nothing inherently evil about making dough and I'd do it.

The only problem is the filming crews might get a little bored waiting around a year. It's not like Emeril lagasee making a pot of chicken soup or anything.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Level 10 user

Well, me and Glenn could do a sculptors version of The Odd Couple, like Oscar and Felix sharing a studio in Manhattan. Imagine the episode where Glenn and I somehow both end up as finalists for the same commission. St Patricks needs a gargoyle. We hide and guard our maquettes from each other, overprotective of our brilliance, much zany-ness occurs in demonstration of our differences, we both lose to the mayors nephew who recently took an art course at City College. Resolution is enjoyed when we apologize for our suspicions over beverages, my beer to his tea, our little gargoyles before us on a table encouraging a friendly critique that becomes another brouhaha on the outro (Odd Couple theme song inserted here).
Old 06-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Level 10 user

Stupidest....no dumbest idea I've ever heard. What makes you think people would watch. Sculpture only interests sculptors and a few sculptor wannabes. At any given time this forum only has 75 to 102 and a half viewers. Considering the scope and scale of the world wide web this should say something to you and every sculptor logging onto this forum. To the masses sculpture is boring......ridiculus....unfathomable. Spend ten minutes reading what we post on this forum as an outsider. We're civil and pretty much nice to one another but when we comment on the works of sculptors outside our group even we tend to be critical and uninterested. People will watch shows about food, haircuts and losing wieght but sculpture.......shows about choppers and novelty cars is pushing it. If it was otherwise we would have been first in line. Face it, we are freaks to the world at large and not in a good way. We have vertually no political power, no unions, no voice. Ask anyone on the streets to name a living sculptor and I'd be amazed if one in a hundred gave an answer. Any show about sculpture and sculptors will have to be about something else to get viewers attention. Perhaps after the reality show about painters ( yawn ) we might be given a chance. I so want to be all wrong about what I've just written.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:26 AM
Level 10 user

Hi Aaron, you're not wrong and if you were I'd be sad I guess because the result would inevitably be about theatrics like the Chefs et. al. and really not have much to do with educating or showing people what we really do... Your comments brought me back to the real world and reminded me of an old chess quote (I have this thing about old chess quotes).

"If one would cancel all traffic rules and switch off all traffic lights, watching city traffic on TV would be also awfully interesting!"
Oleg Romanishin on FIDE's efforts to make chess a TV spectator sport, quoted by Rustam Kasimdzhanov in Chess Today

Steven
Old 06-14-2007, 02:27 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Schroeder
Stupidest....no dumbest idea I've ever heard. What makes you think people would watch.
because theres nothing else on!
Old 06-14-2007, 02:57 AM
Level 10 user

Nothing else on ? What about " Deadliest Catch ", watching those guys haul yet another pot of tasty crab onto the deck of a puny boat tossed about in heavy frozen seas never gets boring. I love seeing happy fishermen. I love/hate my TV. I get sucked into the tube all to often. If " Sculpture Park " made it to syndication I would more than likely watch every episode all the while hating myself for not being in the studio. I love/hate my TV.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Level 10 user

Allright then, the artist Superfriends. Prodigies from all walks ofthe fine arts band together under a super studio headquarters Artlab, which orbits the Earth. A Thor type character would represent sculpture properly, the other hand would clasp a mighty chisel, would portrait you into submission. Gloryhole would blow hot glass in your eyes. and so on
Old 06-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Level 8 user

I see the show as something great , a group of interesting people getting together to create a sculpture park, showing there techniques, how things are made, working on a dead line, changing a town, brining in commerce. It would be funky and fun, a real Northern Exposure. Showing people what's behind the art, the trials and tribulations, the highs and the lows. It would be a hit, for sure, The world can be beautiful if one opens ones eyes, and anything is possible when one follows a dream. I have followed a few in my day, people always saying "no way". So here I am , a sculptor, making a living supporting my family on what I love, a House on a lake, fishing every day and to think how many said "no way" or "Stupidest...no dumbest idea I've ever heard". Wow those words seam to just stop don't they, let make them run away.
All the best,
Mark
Old 06-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Level 10 user

Evaldart was on to something with his Odd Couple idea ( except that I don't drink tea ).
If presented right, the show would be hilarious. People would watch not because it is about sculpture, but because of good writing and characterizations.

For me, what could be more boring to watch than a cooking show? But then Emerill came along and upped the anty, and made it just a little better than completely boring. And other shows came along riding on his wave of success ( which I don't watch either, but my wife does on occasion ).

There are so many stupid shows out there with nothing for a topic. Seems that a about something ... sculpture and sculptors ... would attract viewers if made to be interesting. Good characters, lots of sub-plots, crazy characters with way different perpectives bumping heads and verbally jousting, occasionally sabatoging each others work, like me sneaking in the middle of the night and adding a classic marble head to Evaldart's metal alien, while he is sneaking into my studio to deconstruct Saint Ambrose , adding a wild metal armature-as-skin-looking gorilla body.

" Extreme Artist Makeovers? "

By the way, I remember there being some episodes of Northern Exposure that involved Chris fabricating sculpture. Maybe we have to start more modestly, just one token sculptor per larger show, until the powers that be realize we have something good to offer.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Level 10 user

Thing is ....the show's going on right now and the producers, cameramen, editors and program schedulers are missing it. I like the idea of controlling the actual parameters and creating an event just for the show but all a producer would have to do is enable a director and a mobile crew of camerapeople and have them crash the party. Harvest a few hundred hours of material and edit it down to a brilliant masterpiece. I like the idea of sculpture park, it would focus a microscope on the dynamics of the lives of those involved......but what would be more compelling would be a show that focuses on the enormatty of the world of the sculptors. A show that would depict numerous communities and thier activities. A show that would inform the people that this sculpture stuff is going on all around them, that the world of sculpture is huge and that there is sculptor next door working on brilliant work, secretly in obscurity. I'm sure a show about all the percent for art programs would catch peoples attention. ( Perhaps a really bad idea, if the people only knew how thier tax money was being schwandered on bad art, I'm sure the percent for art laws would be overturned ). I'm sure if we mix and match enough ideas in this thread and sent enough links to the folk searching for fresh ideas that something would stick. I still like the idea of the sculptor cookbook.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Level 10 user

All right, I want to be played by Rowdy Roddy Piper. Heres a shot of him from his greatest thespian effort, my favorite piece of cinematic art, "They Live":

Who's gonna play you Glenn?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp piper.bmp (62.2 KB, 132 views)
Old 06-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Level 10 user

Rowdy Roddy would make a great Evaldart....... but I think we would have to beef him up a bit more.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart
All right, I want to be played by Rowdy Roddy Piper. Heres a shot of him from his greatest thespian effort, my favorite piece of cinematic art, "They Live":

Who's gonna play you Glenn?

either Charleton Heston in his prime ( he warmed up for the role by playing Moses and Michelangelo ) or Johnny Depp, pirate roles notwhithstanding.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Level 2 user

I think it would be a great success. There are two shows showing artists at work on TV: "Modern Masters" (more serious) and "That's Clever" (more crafty). They are both very popular. I think people are fascinated by seeing artists at work and learning how things are made. Even better if it has a funny twist.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Level 4 user

Hah...evaldart, the gargoyle scenario amused me. I do not own a TV - nor watch any - but this I would tune into. I can see a figurative vs. abstract angle...and some danger can be added with a foundry pour gone awry (all that hot, molten metal!)...vandalism on public sculpture is another issue you might raise awareness about...maybe some of your locals have a visceral response to some pieces in the Park...

As for the negativity: 'can't' and 'should' and 'don't' - these are words that are best used in moderation and with great thought behind them. Continue to take the world's condemnations and shape them into possibilities. On a dreary day, I pointed out to a student that the word 'paint' contains 'pain' until we choose to add a 't' and make it something else. That same student later wrote a postcard to me, pointing out that the word 'impossible' can be viewed as 'I'm possible' - things are what we make of them, so why not create for the better? Glad to read all your fun brainstorming.