Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Level 1 user

Marketing/Selling work

Hi, my website is up and running and I am now on a steep learning curve trying to market my work. I have previously relied on word of mouth and this has resulted in an inconsistent income - now I have a mortgage to pay I am looking at my art as a business. So any suggestions as to my likely market given the type of work I do - figurative scuplture using only paper (and I am a die-hard purist!!) and any suggestions regarding my product?? Your experience and knowledge is most welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capt. Iago 2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	4976  Click image for larger version

Name:	Morphing Mervin 4a.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	4977  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1a.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	4978  
Old 01-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Marketing/Selling work

This is fascinating stuff. I would suggest the gallery approach where there is a lot of tourist traffic.
Do you coat or seal your paper sculptures to protect them from UV damage or fading to the paper?
Very nice work!

Mark
Old 01-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Marketing/Selling work

Hay again

I just posted my first howdy youall on the welcome center. With regards to marketing your work. In this country your work could fall into the 'craft' category. Craft would be considered death to any one that considers themselves as a producer of 'fine art'.

However craft is a huge market and much larger and easier to sell than fine art. I did fine art 'craft' for a while. Here we have a series of trade shows that tour the country. Some are local utilitarian craft stuff like wind chimes. But a few are very high end juried shows. Those are the ones I attended. They are primarily geared to select retail buyers. They do not even allow the public to attend the first few days.

That would be an excellent market for your, select retail outlets, boutiques looking for exclusive high end items. Offer geographical exclusivity to a buyer, they will love it.

You would do very well in the local annual Baltimore Maryland show. These shows only run about three days and cost $500 to $1000 for a both space. That is way eaiser, faster and cheaper than getting in a gallary.

Trade shows are a good controllable sales option. The only down side is that you may sell more than you can ship, that was my experience, success killed us.