Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 04:39 PM
ISC Member

Looking for Dimensional letters

Looking to find some 2" - 3" tall letters that are about 1/2 deep made out of styrafoam or another rigid foam. Something to stand off a sculpture. Need inexpensive letters like $1 - $2 each or less.

Also need to get ahold of the coating (Smooth-on???) that would be painted over the letters to seal out the elements. This is going outdoors & will be coated with an automotive top coat.

Appreciate leads.

Carl

Last edited by tonofelephant : 06-21-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Fingers finished before mind did.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Looking for Dimensional letters

For such small size letters a sheet of the blue/pink building insulation(home despot), You want the dense foam not the light compressed stuff they sell as craft foam. You might find some florist foam will work also. A set of paper/plastic stencils dick blick.com and the a battery powered wire foam cutter Most( hobby lobby/Micheal's/JoAnn craft stores flower section) you will be able to do your own with some practice. The covering you see on the buildings and architectural details and monument signage. It is a fiberglass fiber filled acrylic additive mortar.
Exterior insulation and finishing system (EIFS) You will want the top coating or you can make it up yourself Depending on if it will be exposed at a level the the crum and scum can get at it. The local distributor was very help when I used it years ago for some parade stuff.

You should be able to do your lettering for the cost you want.
The costs for a couple letters would be at retail. As the major suppliers to the sign trade, have minimum amounts in product and dollars.
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
Old 06-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Level 9 user

This place looks like it sells a ton of letters. Foam, plastic, all kinds. Take a look. http://www.buysignletters.com/signde...tters_home.asp

Unfortunately they are about $6.50 each. You'd have to weigh the time you'd use to make them, vs the cost of the letter.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:01 AM
ISC Member

Thanks for the help. Am looking at soft foam letters for a curving surface & hard styrafoam letter for the straight areas. Will be needing about 120 letters. Think I have a source now for this.

Next problem to conquer is what do I slather on top to seal the foam from the elements so it can be painted? Since the area for the letters is rather small that needs to be covered, am wondering if there is something other than Drivett that can stand up to the outside for several months.

Carl
Old 06-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Level 10 user

If it isn't going to be a long time and exposed to the weather outside or only designed for a short life span. You can use a good grade exterior spackle type paste, or just a portland cement mix no stone or gravel with the acrylic bonding additive added to the cement with the water. The cement comes in white, or gray. They generally can be had at most of the larger sized Big box home despots or highe's.

If you don't want to mess with the cement mess. You can use this stuff and paint it on after the spackle if you are looking for a smooth surface. I have used it for 30 years for everything they list and some the don't. You can thin it or use it straight out of the bottle. You can also use water based tinting colors to color the adhesive.
weldbond-glue-adhesive this site is whole sale or bulk orders.
They do sell it at ACE hardware's, and the big box stores sort of depends on the local weldbond distributors.

This is a parade subway two 6 foot subs that two people wear. The guy that owned the stores wanted it so they could walk like it was one and move to each side of the street. It is blue foam for the bun covered with exterior grade spackle then painted with 3 top coats of the weldbond as sealer and protection.

This is a early Ringling spec parade Cinderella coach that was sent to me by a circus museum it had to be repaired frame raised up it is un sprung. And then the surface repaired and recoated. The surface was an early type of acetone base resin fabric like fiberglass. The 8 pounds of gold mylar glitter 1/4" squares and 4 pounds of green were attached to the coach with brushed on layers of weldbond adhesive then over-coated with three layers of it. It drys clear, and like elemers type white glue it will build up a thickness.
The idea was little fingers nails, couldn't pry up the glitter.
The coach was rented out to be used in parades, problem is the frame was made out of 2" dia EMT conduit. Not known for its strength bouncing over our bad roads with a hefty Cindy in it it would tend to sag, I welded a sub frame to it but there was only so much one can do with out changing it from original.
The guys in the prop shop at Ringling would be amazed it has lasted this long. Since they were made to be used for a couple years and then stored and possibly reused at some point. It was sold to a movie studio and used in Babes in toyland Laurel and Hardy and a couple others that it could have been in. It lives at the Circus Hall of Fame Peru Ind.
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
Old 06-25-2012, 01:55 PM
ISC Member

Glen, that sounds like the stuff I need. Full strngth as a glue, water it down a little & it seals the surface. Then paint & we are good to go.

Carl
Old 06-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Level 10 user

you can use it full strength as a sealer too don't add to much water at one time as it will thin out real fast.
All the usual