Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Level 10 user

New Truck

Hey All,

My search to find a new USED truck to replace my 15 year old Tacoma has been harder than I thought. Everybody is buying used these days - so the selection near me is a bit thin. My criteria include a cab big enough to also carry two kids (without being a true 4-door), 6.5 foot bed and 4X4. I've located a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Classic K - with 60,000 for about $20K - a work truck interior. I like that it doesn't have any frills, but I'm thinking a 3/4 ton is overkill for the cheese. It is also stick - which I was hoping to finally move away from. Anyone have something like this before? Any issues? I will eventually want to pull a small trailer (so tired of renting u-hauls and vans) so it will get some towing use, but it's not like I'll be dealing will HUGE loads. Also not likely to break 10 thousand per year in mileage.

Any advice is appreciated!

CP

Last edited by cheesepaws : 08-19-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:53 PM

Re: New Truck

You read my mind, CP... I've wanted to make a "truck" thread for quite some time now.
Regular cars are now impractical for hauling anything of significant mass, and I have been keeping an eye out on good used trucks, (mind you, nowhere near your range of $20k ).
Old 08-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by obseq View Post
You read my mind, CP... I've wanted to make a "truck" thread for quite some time now.
Regular cars are now impractical for hauling anything of significant mass, and I have been keeping an eye out on good used trucks, (mind you, nowhere near your range of $20k ).
I wasn't originally thinking that high either but I am having trouble finding anything less than 8 years old or under 70,000 for much less! The "room for the kids" thing is killing my pocket book too.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Level 10 user

Cheese, you can do a lot better than that price-wise in New England. If you're willing to travel I bet you can save 5 grand for what you want up here...If you like I will link you to some local deals on 1/2 tons...there are many. Fly up cheap, stay with ol' E and drive home with a new truck. No problem.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:35 PM
ISC Member

Your big mistake was buying a Tacoma in the first place. I have a 2000 Tundra, automatic, 4WD, power everything and it has a rear seat. It's got 177 on it now, barely broken in. Pulls my trailer like it's not even there.
I wouldn't buy a GM, Chrysler or Ford.
Jeff
Old 08-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Level 10 user

Jeff...the Tundras dont come in XXL. I have always driven F 350 deisel dually 4 x 4's. Nothing can do what those trucks can do as far pick-ups go......nothing.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Level 10 user

Cheese, 4 doors are pretty dang sweet for when those kids start getting taller. Plus they need the extra room to wrestle and fight. 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton makes now diff for everyday use.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Level 10 user

Sitting in a airport in Charlotte, NC with some time to kill and catching up with this thread.

E - I would have thought the trucks up yer way would have been priced higher. Must have something to do with the mean income. I'll think on it.

I got the Tacoma for a few grand in grad school. The tundras are still out of my price range...and must be worth hanging onto because used ones turn up even less frequently than the Fords and Chevy's I've been hunting down.

Joe I know you are right about the four-door but I know I don't want the extra doors/room to come at the expense of the bed length. Sure, I could go for the whole shebang....but then I'm driving (parking) something 14 feet long. I want to be able to pick up the kids from school on occasion. Longer, family trips we'll do with a small sedan. That said, opinion on the true four door verses the "suicide" doors supports your suggestion 100%. Thank too for the 1/2 vs. 3/4 note.

I've decided to rent a cargo van for the next show (installing next week) and I'll give it a bit longer to hunt down a good deal and the right truck. No point in rushing this.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Level 10 user

It may take a while to get what you want. The national inventory for used vehicles is low. Read this in the news and heard it confirmed from a local sales manager.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Level 10 user

Cheese...and they're in better condition here too. No urban mayhem.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
Your big mistake was buying a Tacoma in the first place. I have a 2000 Tundra, automatic, 4WD, power everything and it has a rear seat. It's got 177 on it now, barely broken in. Pulls my trailer like it's not even there.
I wouldn't buy a GM, Chrysler or Ford.
Jeff
Iron,
Those three American brands are quite good. Why not buying them? What about supporting made in USA products, and send less jobs overseas? If Americans consume less cheap China crap maybe matters would look a bit different, don`t you think? Hey Tundra is an awesome truck I know...
Old 08-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Level 10 user

NO pick-up can do what my f-350 can do. Thats all there is to it.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
NO pick-up can do what my f-350 can do. Thats all there is to it.
Ha ! Your pick-up can't do what my 3/4ton can--fit in a parking garage or downtown street parking(the tires just touch the white lines).
Old 08-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Level 10 user

Oh yeah, well your mother's pick-up truck wears army boots!
Old 08-21-2011, 11:03 PM
ISC Member

Hey Nelson, I did buy Made in the USA, Tundra's are made in either Kentucky or Tennessee, I forget which.
In my life I've had a Fiat Spyder, Honda, Hyundai, Volkswagon and now this Tundra and I wouldn't trade any of them, not even that pain in the ass red devil Fiat Spyder for ANY GM, Ford or Chrysler product.
Along the way I have had a few good stick six Chevy P/U's.
Had an F350 once, what a dog that was.
Jeff
Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Level 10 user

Yeah but Jeff you probably had the little one...with the gasoline engine and only 4 wheels. You should have gotten the BIG one.

and yeah, you cant park it anywhere or go into parking garages (thats why god made CARS). But is does well in the piles at the scrap yard and can pull-out whatever treasure you find in there.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Level 10 user

The used car market is crazy right now.
In the USA, we scrap about 14 million cars a year. every year.
For the last few years, due to the recession, a lot of people have held off buying new cars, and new car sales dropped by 5 million a year.
but the same 14 million cars were still being scrapped.

So the inventory of used cars is not being replenished with new cars, which means less supply, but there is still demand. you gotta drive.

Also, since the average price of a new car is now $30,000, and the average price of a new pickup is at least 5 grand more than that, almost everyone finances. And when you are financing, it doesnt seem like that big a deal to just buy what they got on the lot, and accept those options you probably wouldnt pick if you were paying cash.

So virtually every used truck you can find is larded with expensive, silly extras- digital compasses, leather seats, chrome nerf bars, power everything.

And the dude who is selling what SHOULD have been a $25,000 truck, new, paid $38,000 for it, so he is asking a fortune for it used.

In this market, you really are often much better off to just buy new. I know, it sounds crazy, but you can special order a new Ford F150 bare bones, for not much more than a high mileage used truck costs. New Rangers are available for well under 20 grand, and they are really Mazdas, which means they are built better than old Ford Rangers were. The japanese makers are less willing to sell strippers, but the big 3 will still let you build your own truck- and Ford and Chevy both sell "work" trucks" without all that luxo-barge stuff, and you can save ten or twenty grand over the retail price of a King Ranch or a Harley Davidson signature model.

Personally, I just dont need as much truck as Matt does, and am perfectly happy with my 8 foot bed F150. When I need to move something really big, I hire big trucks. And I sure dont wanna go with mileage as bad as a 350 gets, at 4 bucks a gallon.

As for made in America- thats pretty meaningless these days. Toyota and Nissan have been making pickups in the US since the early 80's, but if you buy a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, there is a very good chance that all or part of it is actually made in Mexico or Canada. My F150 was not made in America, by my lights- it came from Canada, while my wife's Honda was made in Ohio.
Toyotas are more american than most Dodge Rams these days- the big'uns come from Texas. Dodge makes a lot of trucks in Mexico.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Level 10 user

Snowflake, with half of Zag in the bed and the other half in tow. Backed up to the tripod gantry for install.

My money tree hasnt yet been fruitful enough for me to buy a NEW one of these (they are over 50,000) but I have always been able to pick them up (underused) for between 10 and 20....and the mileage is never an issue with a diesel. I always destroy the truck (body, chassis, suspension) long before the motor goes.

I'm in the 5 year with this one. She still looks good from a distance and I've just crossed the 120,000 mi spot. I took my last diesel to 265,000. My world record for a truck is 6 years. I'm crossing my fingers - hoping for eight outta this one. Then I'll buy another.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sm zag truck.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	13239  
Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
Hey Nelson, I did buy Made in the USA, Tundra's are made in either Kentucky or Tennessee, I forget which.
In my life I've had a Fiat Spyder, Honda, Hyundai, Volkswagon and now this Tundra and I wouldn't trade any of them, not even that pain in the ass red devil Fiat Spyder for ANY GM, Ford or Chrysler product.
Along the way I have had a few good stick six Chevy P/U's.
Had an F350 once, what a dog that was.
Jeff
Sorry Jeff, thought they were only asseambled in Japan.
Ok, I now see you`re a respectable american
Old 08-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Level 10 user

If my current truck dies (and I hope it will outlive me- I bought it new in 2004, and it only has about 30,000 miles on it) I would want one of these-
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...as_F24_001.jpg

3 liter turbo diesel, 2 ton payload, but short and easy to park.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Level 10 user

Damned Ries, that thing is a visual treat. A helluva Tonka indeed. But I sometimes take the family on the road with me....the inside of mine is bigger than a 1972 Callillac.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Level 10 user

Well, in that case, you need a 4 door.
Every major manufacturer makes these things, and everybody else in the world gets to buy em and drive em. They make em in sizes ranging from mini, about the size of a 4x8 sheet of plywood, to maxi, with 20 foot beds and 5 ton payloads.
I have ridden hundreds of miles in the back of em in places like Sumatra, where 1 ton 4 cylinder diesel isuzu flatbeds get 2 bench seats and a jaunty open air canopy, and are the main mode of intercity transport.

The problem is, most of em are high mileage, but low top speed vehicles- you can get great mileage from a 2 liter diesel, as long as you dont expect it to go much over 50mph. So they dont work too well on US freeways.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	atlas.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	13240  
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2011, 09:30 PM
ISC Member

I've always been a van kinda guy. I grew up in a fairly bad neighborhood and it was the kind of place where nothing stayed in the back of a pick up truck for long. It was also not uncommon to get unauthorized riders in the back if you were stopped at a traffic light. I got my first van by dumb luck and quickly realized this was the vehicle for me. It not only serves as a rolling tool box but occasional housing as well. The bed is typically lower than a truck and in my current Chevy Express cargo van I can comfortably lay a 12' length of material down the middle. Can get 14' with the doors closed with some creativity. Vans typically cost bit more and use a touch more gas but for all the pluses I would take it over a pick up truck for my purposes. Keeps all of your stuff out of the weather and good for moving the occasional painting. It always seemed to me that you would be stuck in the middle with extended cab pick ups of too little cargo space one day, then too little passenger space the next. I have a Nissan Frontier with the short cab extension which ends up getting used more for hauling landscape materials and flammables.
I would also put in a word for buying new these days. When I bought my first fresh from the dealer, new van I really could not afford it. Turns out that the improved reliability, lower down time and public perception that I was not the junk man visiting, helped pay for itself within two years.
If you can't do new, municipal auctions can be a good place to score a work vehicle. They tend to be well maintained and let's face it, they probably don't get worked too hard.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Level 10 user

cant do this with a van-
40 foot bridge.
I routinely carry things with my pickup that would never fit in a van. And I buy my steel in either 20 footers, or 24 footers for pipe.
I do have a Honda Element, kind of a mini van, and that is great for small stuff.
But I need a pickup, or a flatbed, for the scale of work I do. My current pickup has an 8 foot bed, and a full rack over the cab, can easily carry 24' long stuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	truckwbridge.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	13242  Click image for larger version

Name:	loadinggreatmall.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	13243  
Old 08-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Level 10 user

Cheese, the Silverado is nice but 3/4 ton gets around 10-15 mpg while a 1/2 ton gets around 15-19 mpg, Tacoma around 19-25mpg.. I got a 2010 Tundra crew cab, 1/2 ton (17mpg avg) that fits 3 teenagers in the back easily and all their gear.

I'm with Ries on buying new, I'd save up longer if you can and put 2k down you'll get zero% interest while that is still around. We just got Mel a 2011 Jeep Wrangler unlimited decked out with remote start and all the goodies and w/0 interest it's still affordable. I almost got a Tacoma, 5k cheaper, but it was just a hair too small and I'm glad I got the Tundra now. Whatever you decide, canvas the dealerships until you find exactly what you want. Don't get a manual because that's all they had, automatic is so much nicer and no more clutch foot, hobbling around etc.. Good luck.