Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Level 7 user

What is supersculpey ?

The material used for this
OBAMA,
"supersculpey", looks like it might be pretty nice to work with, What is it though? Clay,plastic,?...if anyone can tell me more about it,
thanks ,from Garry
Old 09-02-2012, 07:03 AM
Level 10 user

Re: What is supersculpey ?

Polymer oven bake set clay.
Here is their site http://www.sculpey.com/products/clays They have a growing number of types formulated for different results. I have only used the super sculpey once years ago and it works as advertised. the alos now have something called pro sculpey.
I still use the premo and there are other brands of the basically same material with assorted characteristics, that people swear by. I'm am not that much of a user to be brand loyal
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
Old 09-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Level 7 user

Ok, thanks, I looked at that url,..might be pretty good for making "models" or "prototypes", to see better how some thing will look ,before "hacking" away at a stone...I usually do better when I have a "copy" to look at, some times I make it with plaster first.
I was wondering about "oven bake",..if it works in a microwave,but they have a warning on the site, saying DO NOT bake in a microwave,..so I guess not.
Thanks
Old 09-03-2012, 06:26 AM
Level 10 user

I imagine that due to the way the micro wave works it would damage the piece from fluid expansion to gas by being heated internally.
I know that most of the sized pieces/items I use it for are done in a toaster oven from a second hand store. when they use a regular stove oven you have to do things a little differently. There are lots of books and site for the use of the material. Very popular with doll makers and for acces. for doll houses and fantasy figure makers.
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only