Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Level 7 user

Any one that likes art

I am making a new website, mostly because my existing one is about to "expire", payment is due, how ever when I went to try to renew the account, they would not accept my card, after going around in circles, and never could make the payment, because they won't accept the card (master card),..So I ended up paying a new host (that did accept the card), for a year,..the whole thing turned into a real head ache,..but any way, now I am going to start a new site, with a new host,...
I do not know much about web design,etc, write all my own html,...I find the so called "templates" even more confusing, and very restrictive,..they might be ok for doing a design, that someone else likes, but for "customizeing", and doing your own design, at least for me, they don't work well. I can not afford any "professionals" web designers,..so,
anyway, I would like any ideas,or suggestions,... if anyone have any.
Any one that likes art, sculpture, painting, etc, and also a little about webdesign may have some good ideas,...?? or suggestions,...of course the idea is to get attention, and hopefully possibley someone requesting some kind of custom stone carving, or sculpture,..but also it is just to share what I am doing, with the public,( anyone interested),friends and family, or fellow artists,..ok well I guess that is about all for now.
from Garry
Old 07-22-2012, 04:20 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Any one that likes art

Theres no quick solutions really
either you use the content management applications such as wordpress, joomla etc to create your site which will probably do what you want but will require some investment in time on your part to learn how they work, or if you want complete freedom then you will need to learn things like php, javascript and css. Also if you want a database for storing info like members accounts, details about your pieces etc you will need to understand SQL. In a year or two of studying these you will be able to do professional looking bespoke websites.
Thirdly you could pay someone to do a bespoke website who will charge what you might consider a high price, but theres alot of work involved and they will want some compensation for the years of study they have invested to get the required knowledge.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Level 7 user

Thanks for the reply, yes you are right, it is a lot of work, studying all that one needs to know, to do a good job, and also designing a site, especially if one dose not want to use templates,..I do understand why they charge so much, a lot of long hours, in front of the computer, and at the keyboard, or reading books,too,...and I would rather be cutting or shaping a piece of stone, but my budget, and nature make me a "do it your self'r ",..So any way I am "hacking away" at it,.. My "studio" (faces west) is shady in the mornings, but in the afternoons the sun hits it "full force", so I guess this is a project I can work on when it is so hot, I can't stand it anymore, inside I have air conditioning,..
Old 07-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryRicketson View Post
Thanks for the reply, yes you are right, it is a lot of work, studying all that one needs to know, to do a good job, and also designing a site, especially if one dose not want to use templates,..I do understand why they charge so much, a lot of long hours, in front of the computer, and at the keyboard, or reading books,too,...and I would rather be cutting or shaping a piece of stone, but my budget, and nature make me a "do it your self'r ",..So any way I am "hacking away" at it,.. My "studio" (faces west) is shady in the mornings, but in the afternoons the sun hits it "full force", so I guess this is a project I can work on when it is so hot, I can't stand it anymore, inside I have air conditioning,..
I put together my website myself so if you need any advice or are unsure how to do something drop me a PM I might be able to help.
Dont forget SEO (Search engine optimisation) to bring people to your site from the search engines. A good site is next to useless without good SEO. Do a search on it and you will find there are about a dozen things you should be doing in your designing to acheive this.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Level 9 user

Garry, I hate to tell you this, but you are having grammar and comma rule problems, and could use an editor. The text on the first page is riddled with comma errors, and does not come across as a professionally written piece.

I see that you use commas incorrectly in your posts as well. You also have what are known as comma splices. Many people use commas incorrectly, but in a piece of writing that is meant to be a "sales pitch" for your work, you should not make such simple grammar errors.

I have a degree in English, as well as a few classes in visual design (layout) and worked as an editor and graphics artist for a while. I can help you re-write your pieces if you wish.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Level 7 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyL View Post
Garry, I hate to tell you this, but you are having grammar and comma rule problems, and could use an editor. The text on the first page is riddled with comma errors, and does not come across as a professionally written piece.

I see that you use commas incorrectly in your posts as well. You also have what are known as comma splices. Many people use commas incorrectly, but in a piece of writing that is meant to be a "sales pitch" for your work, you should not make such simple grammar errors.

I have a degree in English, as well as a few classes in visual design (layout) and worked as an editor and graphics artist for a while. I can help you re-write your pieces if you wish.
Thank you, my spelling too can be a problem for me. Also sorry for such a delay in responding, I just now saw your post/reply. Back in school, I had a LOT of problems,and never finished high school. Grammar,and English were classes I failed, I got so frustrated by the time I was in the 5th grade I had figured out ways to simply not go to classes,but eventually got caught. Finally at 9th grade, I left school and went to work as a construction laborer. So anyway after all said and done, I would be eager to try to learn more correct methods. Also any help on this would be appreciated. I will check out your web site, and also if you want feel free to PM or e-mail me. Thank you for this offer.
from Garry
Old 08-08-2012, 03:44 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryRicketson View Post
Thank you, my spelling too can be a problem for me. Also sorry for such a delay in responding, I just now saw your post/reply. Back in school, I had a LOT of problems,and never finished high school. Grammar,and English were classes I failed, I got so frustrated by the time I was in the 5th grade I had figured out ways to simply not go to classes,but eventually got caught. Finally at 9th grade, I left school and went to work as a construction laborer. So anyway after all said and done, I would be eager to try to learn more correct methods. Also any help on this would be appreciated. I will check out your web site, and also if you want feel free to PM or e-mail me. Thank you for this offer.
from Garry
Its great that you can admit to something like that. The only way to learn is listen, ask questions, and practice.
Ive rewritten your post how I would have wrote it. I'm no professor of English but it may help you to compare the two.

'Thank you. My spelling too can be a problem for me. Also sorry for such a delay in responding, I just now saw your post/reply. Back in school I had a LOT of problems and never finished high school. Grammar and English were classes I failed. I got so frustrated by the time I was in the 5th grade I had figured out ways to simply not go to classes. But I eventually got caught. Finally at 9th grade I left school and went to work as a construction laborer. So anyway after all said and done I would be eager to try to learn more correct methods, and any help on this would be appreciated. I will check out your web site and also if you want, feel free to PM or e-mail me. Thank you for this offer.'

Generally your writing is not that bad. The two problems really are you use commas when they are not needed, and you use commas when you should use a full stop.