Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Art Lounge
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Level 10 user

Forum

I'm getting together with a lady from another art forum I used to moderate and we are going to try our own sculpture and ceramics forum on one of my domains. Sculpture.net just seems to be fading away a slow death, days and weeks go by with almost nothing new added.

The forum I left was having way too much hand-holding that was growing by the day with dozens of people signing up for the forum every week only to make one post asking how much some bric-a-brac antique thing they found in a garage sale or the like was worth, rarely any of them posted photos and it required writing the same replies over and over asking for photos, and in the end all they were there for was to get a free appraisal, which I had to repeatedly post we don't do there.

Another art related site I was posting to- I was probably the most experienced there, and the sculpture folder was only one of dozens of barely related topical folders, so I had all of these people fawning over everything posted like kids in a candy store which is almost worse than being ignored!

So far I have not found a forum that strikes any kind of happy medium between amateur and professional that is dedicated strictly to sculpture/ceramics without all the other craft things added in.
Hopefully the lady and I will be able to cime up with something this year that works.

I'm, not going to be in here much, maybe once a month I'll drop in, but it's become almost a waste of time to log in more than once a month any more.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:52 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Forum

I think forums are generally on their way out in favour of things like facebook.
To be honest I dont think your new forum will fair any better.
This forum is similar to what you are wanting to start

http://www.figurativesculptors.com/index.php

But it is even deader than this one
Old 03-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrid View Post
I think forums are generally on their way out in favour of things like facebook.

Ive been on that forum, the owner had always seemed to just let it run itself with little day to day interaction, setting up a forum and just walking away from it doesn't work well.
That forum is basically geared for and even named with figure sculptors as the target audience, I consider that an advanced professional level that eliminates a large segment of potential participants. It's like having a forum for collectors of only red Chevy pickups made in June of 1994

Facebook's entire layout sucks, it's a real pain to navigate, forum software is real clean, easy to use, easy to navigate, easy to attach photos, videos etc.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Level 10 user

There are some good forums that are vital and active. Not sculpture unfortunately. I am active on two metal shaping forums and a metal casting forum.

The most active forum I know of is Smokstak. It's a bunch of old engine fanatics. Two or three pages of new posts every day.

I hope you get something going. I miss the sculpture conversations, though I don't miss the elitism, bordering on ridicule, that frequently seemed to suppress things here.

Richard
Old 03-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Level 10 user

I am also a member of an e-mail list of metal workers. Mostly blacksmiths and sculptors with a few car body builders thrown in. That may be a workable format for you. If I want to reply, or to post something new, I send my e-mail to the list's e-mail address and all of the members receive it. Each members can choose, either to get them as they come in, or to have them bunched up and sent once a day.

Richard
Old 03-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrid View Post

I think what klled this forum was the moderating. There was a "fritchy" here that once actually edited one of my post because it apparently didn't agree with my view on a particular subject, to this day I don't know what a Fritchy is …. maybe a fat black pig thats had one to many abortions…..who knows
Old 03-04-2014, 06:25 AM
Level 10 user

Have to agree the social media sites did hurt the forums. But I think that the use of the internet is changing, being a mod on a number of forums, I see the number of one and done members increasing. Were they ask a question get answer and don't even bother to acknowledge the answer. And the ones that don't want to waste their time googling.

I had a women tell me her time was to valuable to waste googling for the answer to her artwork question. And she got mad when nobody would answer her other questions!

The stak is still going strong, only because of the wide subject matter it covers, Harry has classifieds, and the show forums for non profit groups. Plus it is about the only game in town for full size steamers.

I was a mod on a metal artist forum that was at one time the best on the net. And it is going down hill. Owner has other interests, and life is probably getting in the way. So when he wouldn't answer some problems, I tried to get him to take me off as mod, he still hasn't after about 4 months.

The social aspects of the other media sites brings a wide circle of people together. As most don't want to join a group if they don't have an interest other than friendship with a member.
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
Old 03-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Level 10 user

I used to be here a lot. A couple of the moderators here were snarky sometimes but after answering the same questions over and over again, you can kind of understand that. I got such a tremendous amount of help and good discussions here in the past. I hate that this forum is dying. Had some good times here.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:00 PM
Level 8 user

There's another possibility for the moribund nature of this forum.

I persisted in joining in June, 2011. I am the sole, active, mallet-and-gouge
wood carver in my village. Pieces from maybe 8" to 72" with a strong Pacific Northwest influence. I had hoped that I would be able to get some real critique, warts and all. In the interim, I've tried always to make positive contributions when I felt I could do so.

In that time, I have been unable to comprehend the instructions and criteria for posting images. This site is every bit as obtuse as some others than I have resigned from. I realize fully that many, many artists here appear to have no difficulty posting images. The lack of capability rests with me. But I'm damned if I'll spend more than 8 hours a week, trying to figure it out.

To that end, I've sent some PM, hoping to learn. But, I'm very close to being tired of trying. You are welcome to surmise that I can't even get the Redial function to work on my phone.

On the other hand, there are some very vigorous and very active wood carving forums with truely global memberships, like this one. Every style you could imagine. What separates them from here is a very simple mechanism to post images. Maybe a good thing in the visual arts?

I believe that a ceramics forum is a good plan. A site with a place to welcome the beginner, those thinking of getting started and those with their first works. Moderators to slap down the participants who claim never to have been beginners.

Adios. I'm not sure I'll be back again.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Level 10 user

Robson, sorry you are having trouble. I haven't been here in a while and didn't realize how dead it was. Maybe some fresh moderators who aren't burned out from it. It does get old as I used to mod elsewhere. I'll bet you can still get some information here though.

Wonder where Grommet is?
Old 03-11-2014, 12:43 AM
Level 8 user

Thanks Scout, kind words. Don't apologize for what this place has morphed into. Maybe the owners know and maybe they don't care.

There's a real deal that I like to think that I could have learned here but I have not seen even pablum. I'm at a real crossroads with 3 or 4 similar forum sites which all appear to utilize the same crude software.

Then we have to endure the "artistes," who will forever never let us forget that they were never beginners. Up here, we call those cowboys "all hat and no cattle." Some days, I wonder if they know how silly they sound.

Let's face it. 50kB images in a visual arts website? Who is trying to fool whom? I'm in other places where "web-large," 640x480, is the benchmark standard.

Thanks, Scout. I have to get out on the road again tomorrow. I dislike winter mountain highway driving. I don't know when I'll be back to sleep in my own bed again.
Now, I really am gone. I do wish you all well.