Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2015, 06:11 AM
Level 10 user

Cruel Eagle?

here is another Australian Wedge Tail Eagle Commission. Has a young rabbit for dinner for 2 Eagle chicks in the nest. Will rotate on curved mount with 2 chicks opposing mother and also rotating inside nest.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Cruel Eagle?

Looking forward to seeing the finished piece A!
Old 04-09-2015, 04:53 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
Looking forward to seeing the finished piece A!

Thank you Mack . I hope all is well with you and family and you are still making kick ass bronzes!
Old 04-09-2015, 12:55 PM
Level 10 user

Thank you A. Yes all is well here...market for the smaller bronzes here in the US has dried up (for my work anyway). Larger more expensive bronzes seems where things are heading. Fortunately got a very large commission which is taking the better part of a year for me to complete and install. Sounds like things are working out for your sculptures...not surprised... glad to see that your talent is being recognised.
Best.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:06 AM
ISC Member

Scrap, as usual you are doing great work transforming disparate things into a unified work of art. Congratulations.

Mack, my experience is similar to yours except it started in 2008. No small sales now except to a museum & a city government who bought outright. Larger sculptures seem to be the way to go. Thought I was the only one in this boat.

Carl
Old 04-10-2015, 06:34 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonofelephant View Post
Scrap, as usual you are doing great work transforming disparate things into a unified work of art. Congratulations.

Mack, my experience is similar to yours except it started in 2008. No small sales now except to a museum & a city government who bought outright. Larger sculptures seem to be the way to go. Thought I was the only one in this boat.

Carl
Hi and thank you Carl,
I also have not made any small sales for a few years and now rely on community organisations in small rural communities for commissions. I am thinking this may dry up soon . Not really a good time to be a full time artist but I am quitting my job and going to try because lifes too short and Im 57. and it will be no point whinging about missed chances later on in a wheel chair at the old folks home.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:42 AM
ISC Member

Interesting Scrap. Thought I was the only one who lived in an economically depressed part of their country.

It appears we made & follow an equal path to our success.

Carl
Old 04-12-2015, 02:54 PM
Level 10 user

Hi Carl,
I almost built a house for my wife and I near Hinton, WV but it didn't work out and we moved to VA instead. Re the sculpture sales, it seems to me that the folks who had sufficient disposable income here in the US several years ago, don't have it anymore. People who do, have these large houses so they look for larger pieces. But making the larger bronzes costs the artist a lot of money and just consigning them to a gallery for sale can be pratty prohibitive unless some steady money is coming in.

Goo luck to you Scrap; quitting your job. I know you tried that a while back and it didn't work out, but this time it sounds good...
Old 04-13-2015, 04:46 AM
Level 10 user

Thank you Mack .
Old 04-13-2015, 07:43 AM
Level 10 user

Another one that will be a masterwork of re-purposing of material. Looks great so far, rabbit has life even now.
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
Old 04-13-2015, 08:06 AM
Level 10 user

Scrap,
I was thinking about your work this morning and had the idea (which you've probably already thouight of) that at some point it will all make a great Sculpture Book. A nice big glossy book published by one of the big Art Book publishing houses. With pictures of your pieces in situ with people around for scale, insets with detailed shots of the elements that make them up. So if you haven't already started a file of hi-res photos of everything you've done to date, if you like this idea, might be the time to make sure you have them. Your work is in a class by itself and someday should be out there for all of us to see. (And it would be something you could impress your mates with in the Old Age Home!)
Old 04-13-2015, 04:53 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
Scrap,
I was thinking about your work this morning and had the idea (which you've probably already thouight of) that at some point it will all make a great Sculpture Book. A nice big glossy book published by one of the big Art Book publishing houses. With pictures of your pieces in situ with people around for scale, insets with detailed shots of the elements that make them up. So if you haven't already started a file of hi-res photos of everything you've done to date, if you like this idea, might be the time to make sure you have them. Your work is in a class by itself and someday should be out there for all of us to see. (And it would be something you could impress your mates with in the Old Age Home!)

That's a great idea Mack . I will start searching through the old camera chips!
Old 05-09-2015, 03:31 AM
Level 10 user

Well I would like to introduce "The twins" There names are : "evil -rotten " and "mean n nasty" they are the wedge tail eagle chics waiting for a wabbit dinner in the nest below the returning mother eagle.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:29 AM
Level 10 user

All I can say is the work keeps getting better and better. As a past breeder of cockatiels the twins do evoke the scrawniness and always feed me of the chicks. It is coming together to be another outstanding winner for creating feelings in the viewer and that is what sculpture is all about!
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
Old 05-11-2015, 05:34 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsideshow View Post
All I can say is the work keeps getting better and better. As a past breeder of cockatiels the twins do evoke the scrawniness and always feed me of the chicks. It is coming together to be another outstanding winner for creating feelings in the viewer and that is what sculpture is all about!
Thank you PT . I hope they get a laugh as they enjoy the work.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:26 AM
Level 10 user

I think they will, All of your work that you have shared on here. Always brings out. feelings from majestic, sadness, joy, happiness and everything else. They do what great sculpture is supposed to do evoke multiple feelings. With out any artists manifesto to explain what your intent or hope was in producing it!
All the usual
Old 05-12-2015, 08:54 AM
Level 10 user

[quote=scrapartoz;106504]Well I would like to introduce "The twins" There names are : "evil -rotten " and "mean n nasty" they are the wedge tail eagle chics waiting for a wabbit dinner in the nest below the returning mother eagle.

Hi,
Could you post the pics again, I can't open them.
Thanks
Old 05-12-2015, 06:58 PM
Level 10 user

[quote=Mack;106510]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapartoz View Post
Well I would like to introduce "The twins" There names are : "evil -rotten " and "mean n nasty" they are the wedge tail eagle chics waiting for a wabbit dinner in the nest below the returning mother eagle.

Hi,
Could you post the pics again, I can't open them.
Thanks

The Website that hosts my photos ( Photocamel) has been hacked. When I tried to go there I get redirected to a spam / scam page. I will repost when they clean the site. cheers Andrew