Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Level 1 user

seeking recommendations for improvement

A brief intro. I have no formal training. My learning has been limited to watching several instructional videos and going through some books. I previously spent seven months on six attempts at a bust with limited success. I was using Super Sculpey.

My current project using Monster Clay is pictured below. The photos represent a lot of time, approximately six weeks. It amazes me how much effort I can expend yet very little seems to change.

A couple of times I thought I was making progress. But I often try to fix a perceived problem only to create a new one. Now it feels like it will never be finished and I had hoped to be done by now.

The point of this sculpt is to mold it in plaster and then pour liquid latex into the mold to create the head of a puppet. The puppet is based on an actual person and two reference photos also follow, although I realize I am nowhere close to a likeness.

I debated whether to bother posting a thread because my results are so poor compared to what normally appears here. I would welcome and appreciate any comments or suggestions for improvement to make it look more feminine or realistic. I struggle with achieving a lifelike face. I had to added mass to the sides of the head because my hand needs to fit inside to operate the mouth.

Thanks for any ideas.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:20 AM
Level 10 user

Re: seeking recommendations for improvement

You have a lot against you at the moment, two photos and limited experience. Even an experienced portrait sculptor would have big problems getting a likeness from two photos. They would normally work from the actual person posing for weeks or even longer. They may also use photos, but dozens of them from many different angles.

If these are the only photos you have you will only be able to guess the likeness from the side as you have no photo to refer to.

You can only hope to get close. I dont think you have done too bad considering the limitations. Another thing to remember is that the hair makes a huge difference, without it its hard to see how accurate the likeness is. Try putting the hair on, you can always cut it off before making the mould if its not needed on the latex casting

As for tips to get it more feminine, The brows are definitely male, they need raising particularly at the ends to increase the eye lid area.
The lips are two thin and wide. Compare them with the nose, you can see that the lips should be about 1.5 times the width of the nose, yours are twice the width of the nose. Check other dimensions against each other, theres probably more, this is just one that jumped out at me.

If you want to make it bigger to fit your hand you will have to increase everything else in proportion. by just changing that one area you are altering your proportions and so will start to lose the likeness

Last edited by mantrid : 01-15-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Level 4 user

Re: seeking recommendations for improvement

Add hair and dress the puppet to resemble the historical figure. People will fill in the blanks. If it's worth doing it's worth doing.