Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2004, 05:57 AM
ISC Member

Thumbs up Getting back to Sculpture/Normal

Today My class in the bronze casting of sculpture resumes...after two hurricanes in three weeks...both pummeling this area, Vero Beach Florida. The Vero Beach Museum of Art opened the Exhibition of George Bellows works from Woodstock, and classes began this week after water, wind, and damage twice. Luckily, only two outdoor works on the museum grounds were damaged. The area in general still struggles with a great desire for normalcy. But the art and for me the sculpture continue, so it is the beginning, and in many ways a new beginning. The crucible was still 2/3's filled with water when I opened it 5 days after the first storm...we will get there...By the way...does anyone know how to deal with a wet welder????????
Old 10-08-2004, 10:34 AM
ISC Member

Re: Getting back to Sculpture/Normal

You could start with some WD-40 or some type of silicone based lubricant (use lots of it). Both will displace water (make it bead up and run off). Then you can use compressed air to remove the water from some of the tighter areas. I would think getting the lubricant inside the switches and reastats (spelling?) or amperage adjustment, etc. will be important to stop the oxidation process asap.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:00 AM

Man, you've had a lot to deal with! Up here in New England all we get are snowstorms and ice. At their worst they can make driving an adventure and once in awhile a rickety roof collapses, but mostly it's just the nuisance of shovelling 1 to 3 feet of snow that people complain about. We had three sculptures down by the shore all last winter with no ill effects from the snow and ice and we have six new ones down there now for the next year, and they'll be fine too. You have really had the worst environmental force affecting you. Water is very powerful stuff.
Has the force of nature affected the content/subject matter of your work at all?
JAZ
Old 10-08-2004, 10:00 PM
ISC Member

Hey bobcoon, put in an insurance claim and buy a NEW welder. Go get that FEMA cash while the gettin's good!
Sorry to hear of your troubles in Fla. and hope all returns to normal soon.
have a nice day,
Jeff
Old 10-14-2004, 08:24 AM
Level 1 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcoon
Today My class in the bronze casting of sculpture resumes...after two hurricanes in three weeks...both pummeling this area, Vero Beach Florida. The Vero Beach Museum of Art opened the Exhibition of George Bellows works from Woodstock, and classes began this week after water, wind, and damage twice. Luckily, only two outdoor works on the museum grounds were damaged. The area in general still struggles with a great desire for normalcy. But the art and for me the sculpture continue, so it is the beginning, and in many ways a new beginning. The crucible was still 2/3's filled with water when I opened it 5 days after the first storm...we will get there...By the way...does anyone know how to deal with a wet welder????????
I would towel him off, maybe feed him a little so he isn't so cranky and then tell him to get back to work!