Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Level 1 user

Bronze sculpture pricing

Hello, I'd like to pose a hypothetical situation and get opinions on the price for bronze these days. Metal costs have risen 500% since I started playing with bronze, and don't get me started on gas. Do the same rules still apply? Sould we drop or raise prices to reflect the economy?

The scenario is this:

You create a large clay sculpture and the finished casting cost, complete with patina is $10,000, the cost of the molds is also $10,000. You decide on an edition of 5. The foundry is 500 miles away and each casting requires 3 trips back and forth with an overnight stay. How much would you charge for the finished, delivered (within 500 miles of the foundry) sculpture? There is no gallery involved, but may be for future castings.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Bronze sculpture pricing

How large is "large"? And for starters I would make the edition larger, 6 or 8.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Level 1 user

Are either of those relevant? Would you price differently for an edition of 5 vs 6. Does size matter, or just casting cost?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Level 10 user

Yes both are relevant.... depending on who is doing your foundry work i.e. are they cheap or expensive? And why an edition size of 5 instead of 8? are you superstitious? You have to amortize your mold cost and that's a bit easier to do with 8 pieces rather than 5. How big is this piece?...8 feet, 10 feet..? at a certain size YOUR costs have nothing to do with the sale price, sculptures of a certain size command their own price. How big is it and what does it look like?...is it figurative or abstract? There are people here who can compare it to their own experience of pricing their own work and make helpful suggestions but I think a bit more info from you is necessary.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Level 1 user

That's all pefectly reasonable and is the kind of information I was looking for. I usually think of pricing as a function of the casting cost. I've been trying to avoid specifics, although I am trying to price a specific piece, and generate a hypothetical formula as a baseline, which is probably not a practical approach. So - dropping the previous hypothetical, here is some more info.

The piece is just under 9' tall on a 3' diameter round base, which is part of the casting. It's loosely representational/almost abstract in parts and has some long, curving forms that support a flying bird. The patina is multicolored, partly transparent with some golden bronze tones coming through. It weighs between 300 and 400 lbs. The edition size can still be determined, but may from 7-9. My previous hypothetical 5 was just for simplicity, which apparently is not simple. The casting cost is actually closer to 15,000 and the foundry I use won't change, even if there is a less expensive alternative, it would be much farther away.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Level 9 user

the formula I would use is to triple the foundry cost. the rubber mold cost is divided by the edition , that # should be added to the foundry cost(then tripled) That way if a gallery is involved they can have a third, you get a thrid and the foundry is paid with a third. you should use this formula even if your not using a gallery because if things change in the future there will not be any confusion by price changes. As far as travel cost, I think you have to eat that as part of your cost, just as the foundry eats the cost of supplies and the gallery eats cost of keeping its doors open

Last edited by RWJR : 04-06-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Level 10 user

That formula would put your sale price right around 50,000 to 55,000 which is reasonable for a piece that size. And plenty to go round if you do hook up with a gallery in the future. Good luck!

Last edited by Mack : 04-06-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Level 1 user

Thanks, that's the basic idea I use with smaller bronzes. I was curious to know if the ratios shifted as size and prices increase.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Level 9 user

use that as the bottom line , I think only demand can drive it upward.