Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Art Lounge
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Level 10 user

Caption Contest

Can you guys help me out with a better funny caption for this photo please!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Caption Contest

"Look...we can't travel together if you're going to fall apart everytime I say that you're getting a little rusty!"

Last edited by Mack : 03-26-2012 at 07:26 AM. Reason: more hilarious
Old 03-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Level 10 user

Scrap, Scrap...what were you thinking?? scrap this whole idea...the sooner the better. This idea is the art crime, not your other thread. I think I need some fresh air, man.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
Scrap, Scrap...what were you thinking?? scrap this whole idea...the sooner the better. This idea is the art crime, not your other thread. I think I need some fresh air, man.
hey RIKA: lighten up! this is a cartoon. (dont you spend 10-15 seconds reading the funnies in the papers?) lets not take ourselves too seriously..... please! This is the 'art lounge thread'.Im considering using the toon as a marketing tool. My clients are not high brow art intellectuals but everyday folk (Like me) trying to improve the look of their towns . A good image with a catchy ,funny tag may be the hook that starts the process. Notwithstanding... thank you for your input, it is good to hear your view on this concept... it(the captioned image) may indeed prove to be folly.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Level 10 user

"The extra weight in the pack may have wrenched my back!"
Old 03-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Level 10 user

Scrap you are in a class by yourself here. I don't know of any one else doing figurative work using found objects and certainly not with the mastery that you have shown in your work. And as I said before there will always be a humorous aspect of whatever creature(s) you put together like Picasso's goat, long horned steer, monkey etc. all were clever and surprising and showed his sensitivity to form and a sense of humor. You've taken that to a new level with your work. Especially with the 'Swagman'

"...I wish I could relax like that!"

Last edited by obseq : 03-28-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: merging
Old 03-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Level 10 user

"Can you find me a woman in there?"
Old 03-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapartoz View Post
lets not take ourselves too seriously..... please! This is the 'art lounge thread'.Im considering using the toon as a marketing tool. My clients are not high brow art intellectuals but everyday folk (Like me) trying to improve the look of their towns .
No, we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously, but we should take our art very seriously. This in not about you, citizen and good pal Scrap, but Artist Scrap. There is a huge difference there...Everyday folk are not idiots. They do know when they see art, and want to be inspired, uplifted by it. I am sure there are better marketing tools than this one. So I would brainstorm and search for other creative ideas. You could use the occasion to teach them something without being intellectual or preachy. Don't underestimate their ability to understand, respect and admire your artistic vision. Have your fun here in the lounge if you want, but I think it's a bad idea to use this as a marketing tool.

I just looked at your in progress thread, the photograph of the swagman is very striking. You could use the reference photo, for instance, and your work next to it, with a short explanation of what inspired you to make the sculpture. Nothing fancy, simple, but honest words. The idea of comparison alone between the reference image and the work of art offers great opportunities for discussion for everybody, simple town folk and intellectuals alike. And btw, sorry, you are not an everyday folk. You're an artist, a sculptor, a damned good one too, so you gotta remember that.

Last edited by rika : 03-25-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Level 10 user

Yes Scrap, I too agree with Erika. Your point is valid, but not quite right with your top notch work. Somehow I feel the cartoon idea belittles your work. There`s got to be other ways to marketing your talent using Swagman or any other sculpture of yours. Just find it! If you think folks ain`t intelectual enough to value and understand your art, find ways to explain and teach them, but don`t lower your work level to meet theirs... Should you pursue your cartoon idea, here`s one: " Don`t f... around with me, I ain`t no cartoon buddy !" lol.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:22 AM
Level 10 user

THANK YOU: forge glenn and Mack for those clever captions.

to RIKA and Nelson; Ifear that you have taken a very wrong meaning from my words, I wish to carify this . I did not state or imply or think that that my clients were idiots or backward in any way or form. I stated that they were "like me" this is a statement of fact. i find your term "simple town folk" a little offensive.

mmm .... I will try to explain :In order to sell coca cola or toothpaste the advertising people do not labour on about philosophy or in depth blurb that the client will not be interested in. they shape their approach to suit the target market. I am just trying to do the same. It is the fact that I am like these people that i can understand what they want and aim to give it to them. By condeming my approach to this concept you are revealling that we differ in how we see the world............... that is good for the both of us and is OK with me, thank you for your input. If my words caused you to believe that i think my clients do not understand or appreciate creative arts then I should have used different words so that you would not interpret my post that way. dont read too much between the lines. Missunderstanding is a common problem with internet forums ......thats why they give us those stupid emotion icons so we dont always do an asperger interpretation
I do agree with both of you that there are better marketing tools ,i just have to find them. and if this 'toon' damages my reputation as an artist..... then it is only to people who are unlikely to have a signifigant impact on my life.

HAVE A NICE DAY! more captions please.

Last edited by scrapartoz : 03-26-2012 at 04:09 AM. Reason: less abrasive response
Old 03-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Level 10 user

A pint would put a spring in my step or the doc said i was a little nutty.

I need a shave my beard is a bit wirery.

I cant seem to shift into second gear today my mind is rusty.

I got hammered last night. I think someone it me with a sledge hammer.

Last edited by craigktx : 03-26-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Level 10 user

Dear Scrap, it's up to you what you do of course. And I do what my conscience tells me to do, which in this case is an artist-to-artist gentle warning. It's all good.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Level 8 user

I'd be upstanding if it wasn't for the rust.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Level 10 user

"Brother, could you spot a creaky old traveler a cup 'o oil?"
Old 03-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Level 10 user

Scrap,
My captions and I'm taking it from your first caption that you are including in this scenario, not only the Swagman's back but the pile of scrap he seems to be looking down on...and that the resulting hopeful hilarity(sp) will be what the Swagman's remark, question etc. is to the pile of stuff beside him... Is this the way you see this?
(A larger or higher pile beside him would make this more obvious I think.)

Last edited by Mack : 03-26-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: questing for perfection
Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Level 10 user

Ok Scrap, I`ll give it a serious try now: " Gee it feels heavy, must be that darn pan on my back"
Old 03-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Level 8 user

From the proffered POV, if you can't weld it all together P_ SS on it.

Tinkle, tinkle, rusty star.
How I wonder how you are
made of cast-offs from my mind.
The cogs, the bolts, the rusty nuts.
Blessed be the artist's torch which binds.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:59 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
No, we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously, but we should take our art very seriously. This in not about you, citizen and good pal Scrap, but Artist Scrap. There is a huge difference there...Everyday folk are not idiots. They do know when they see art, and want to be inspired, uplifted by it. I am sure there are better marketing tools than this one. So I would brainstorm and search for other creative ideas. You could use the occasion to teach them something without being intellectual or preachy. Don't underestimate their ability to understand, respect and admire your artistic vision. Have your fun here in the lounge if you want, but I think it's a bad idea to use this as a marketing tool.

I have to say Really. If I or others make art then its mine or other artist to do with it as we wish. Its not their art its the artist art.
They just get what was given without worry over their feel or take. Sure we can make pure money driven art put that is another topic. Enjoy the spot light to the fullest when it shines on you scrap, thats what will drive the next one.

Don't, can't, bad idea never made art it makes ugly handbags and tv shows. Really, once again the thought of this makes me want to puke bad earings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
"...I wish I could relax like that!"
Now I would like to know why?

Bad childhood etc.? You can because you create your world other wise the title of artist wouldn't apply.

Last edited by obseq : 03-28-2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: merging
Old 03-27-2012, 01:58 AM
Level 10 user

thanks everyone for your input.
this is only a bit of fun to distract our cluttered minds for a few seconds,.
Rika and Nelson ........I know you mean well.thank you both
Mack YES the scenario was the bum looking at the pile of scrap that is his friend who has consumed too much booze.(and fallen apart)
(heaping it up as u said will help this be more believable)

I liked all the captions but i think the reference to the woman by ' the Forge' was the best.
another Ive considered is: "is that you grandpa"

Thanks again for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigktx View Post
Now I would like to know why?

Bad childhood etc.? You can because you create your world other wise the title of artist wouldn't apply.

No craig I think that was Macks caption for the toon. The bum is looking at a flat pile of scap on the ground beside him (that happens to be another being ,a friend ,like him made from scrap) and makes the statement to him:" I wish I could relax like that" I guess this is a sight gag. I like it but i willhace to heap the scrap into a basic human shape.

Last edited by obseq : 03-28-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: merging
Old 03-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Scrap, Scrap...what were you thinking?? scrap this whole idea... . This idea is the art crime, .
I can't agree rika..Scraps sculpts will always hold their own..the humour is as Aussie as Scrap and the majority of his audience...
You can't tell me that your opinion of good sculpture is influenced by mere words
Old 03-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Level 10 user

Scrap I think that your idea to make the pile beside him into a loose human shape (very loose) is good...also were you thinking of isolating the figure and the pile and not have background distractions? Be effective I think to see just the two and 'the long road ahead '.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 AM
Level 10 user

thanks Underfoot - i think you understand whatn im trying to do,
Mack -yes you are right ,both those suggestions would help.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Level 10 user

Great sculpture Scrap and I dig the instalation idea as well. Rika I understand what your getting at but in my experience letting your personality through in the work is very important. I did a show with a painter friend who hung her purse on one of my sculptures and people loved it. Bring them into the conversation.
I can't top "relax" or "fall to pieces" so I'm not evn going to try.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Level 10 user

Bill could see from the dainties on the livingroom floor that tonight he'd be "Mr Lucky".
Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
Bill could see from the dainties on the livingroom floor that tonight he'd be "Mr Lucky".
LMAO !!!!