Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Images Gallery
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 06:53 AM
Level 10 user

salvaged elm log

been a little distracted from sculpture for a while... but im back now .. got a new project under way. im very excited about it... wont say too much about it right now.. more later.. but it involves carving a beautiful elm log that has been under water for unknowen decades. its an old growth elm log, a real gem.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Level 10 user

Re: salvaged elm log

I have an Elm log I picked up last week just about half as long as that, but still pretty hefty. Did you get a mill or you find someone to let you use theirs? That's freakin sweet!
Old 10-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Level 10 user

hey steven. the mill is close to me, same one i got to cut my walnut log the mill master there is a great help. and a very cool band saw hes got over 2 feet wide.
kinda a cool story to go with the log..
a lady called me and said she spotted this log in the water just off her shore. she towed it in with her canoe.
she happens to be involved with the Sacred Water Circle. a sort of a keepers of water group. check them out if you want "sacredwatercircle.ca" so this log finding her in the water seems very special. and they would like it to be turned into a nice piece of art for a Sacred Water Gathering next spring.
hears the exciting part from a carvers point of view. theres talk of it being installed at the Petroglyphs Provincial Park. It has the largest collection of ancient First Nations petroglyphs (rock carvings) in Ontario. didnt want to say too much because its still in the works. but im stoked to say the least. anyway the log its self is awesome. the water has preserved it. we dont know how old it is. just that it has been submerged for a log time. you can see the erroision on the ends. they were covered in musselles and other water creatures. must have just surfaced recently. we do know that it is from an old growth forest though. very nice dence growth rings 11 feet long. so much for not saying too much too soon lol. now as long as it all comes to fruition...
Old 10-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Level 10 user

Great score Chris, I know you'll make me proud. cant wait to see what you do with it.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Level 10 user

How long has it been out of the water? How are you going to dry it out with out it checking all to hell? Very exciting!
Old 10-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Level 10 user

thanks matt.
hey tobias, im just gonna carve it green and let it check were it will. we removed the heart which should help with the checking. its just been out of the water for a couple a few weeks

Last edited by chris 71 : 10-20-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Level 10 user

Chris I think if it's been cut and under water for years it's just wet not green any more? I also seem to remember being told that under water is the best way to season wood. You could have a reall gooder on your hands there. As far as the checking goes I am with you on the let it do what it wants to. I just posted a photo of on I carved. It's full log and was soaking when I did it. I did let it sit for a year before I finished it tho.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Level 10 user

thanks t, yep i think its a real good one too. so did the sawmill guy he said he would have liked to been able to buy it to turn it into lumber!! i havent started carving it yet just a few sketches.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Level 10 user

Great chunk keep us posted with pics in progress.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Level 10 user

finally this one is under way. working a bit smaller as it is its 7 feet tall. doing a simaler type design to my genesis carving. got another slab to carve after this one. its beautiful to carve because its still soo wet. working on the texturing know

comments critiques welcolm

http://
http://
Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Level 10 user

I think, sorry bad thinking on my part. But you should carve the hole log. You have that and the mastery of the tools now. I still think the work is great but let that monster run.

Or I could say let that dog hunt.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Level 10 user

thanks craig. yes i think your right. the next step in my evoloution will have to be carving the whole log.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Level 10 user

Looks good. I dont think I would have started texture before the piece is more dry tho. You may have some major parts to rework after it gets reaquainted with it's environment. Seems more minimal than your last piece.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Level 10 user

thats what i was thinking too tobias it is more minimal. its a nice change though because i can just play more with surface. i cant wait for it to dry has to be done for april 19th.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Level 10 user

little more progress. not sure how many thousands of mallet and gouge strikes but my neck is killing me.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Level 10 user

Dont you hate thos last few feet and inches thats when the real pain begins.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:04 AM
Level 10 user

ain't that the truth craig they always for me anyways just start to shine right near the end. but also this is when they can be most screwed up buy taking too much away on certain spots.
also i just found out this one and its brother [sister] slab will be permanently installed at trent university. which i think is better then at the petroglyph park. this is the biggest thing to happen for me as a carver thus far. im stoked to say the least.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Level 10 user

It's coming along beautifully, Chris. I love the texture. Congratulations, Trent will really be a better site, can't imagine better! Awesome! I was thinking about the base, I'm thinking stone would be nice, in its natural state/form, you know those eroded ones you can see all over up North in cottage country. They use them for decorative purposes in yards and gardens, don't know its name. Or other stone.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Level 10 user

thank you rika. i like the idea of a large natural stone base. and if i had the proper tools to cut it, i would probably use something like that. what im planning to do is something simmilar to what i have done with these ones.

i drilled 2 holes into each carvings then 2 matching holes into the base, pine slabs. then attached pegs into the holes in the bases. the carving sits on the bases with the pegs to hold it. but there is a problem with doing it this way. its very difficult have the holes in the carving drilled just right and there almost always seems to be a little wiggle room. im not happy with.
i think i have come up with a better way for these next ones. and since they will be in a public place i want them to be safer.
so what i have come up with is an idea to leave enough wood at the bottom of these slabs so i can cut a sort of foot at the bottom. then cut a trench in the base that the foot will sit in, and i can drill some holes in the side of the base and through the foot and bolt them together. i think this should work well and be a very secure attachment.
if anyone reading this has a better idea i would appreciate hearing it thanks.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Level 10 user

Make a template of the hole locations and use that to transfer the points on both the base and the piece. If you going to display them in public places, just epoxy the dowels in place.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Level 10 user

thanks forge. you know with all the measuring and fiddling i did to get these ones attached with the dowels, i actually feel a little dumb i never thought to just make a template. probably the simplest way to go about it. and the only thing that would make me hesitate about the epoxy, is if they ever had to move them. [they will be indoors] it would be nice to have them come apart.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:20 PM

I'm loving the progression of your work!!!

Massive congratulations on the permanent installation at Trent!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Level 10 user

The finished ones look impressive together, good choice of bases too. Where are they now?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Level 10 user

thanks obseq.
there in my garage at the moment rika, but may be attending a home and garden show next week.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Level 10 user

started the second slab its a little more unstable then the first. im going to have to secure a bad crack in the top curl.