Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > New Technologies
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Level 6 user

anatomy for artist app!!

My good friend Mike DeFeo is doing a kickstart for this app, He Is not just a great sculptor but has been teaching people and helping artists since I met him in the 80's when he taught me. He is incredibly famous in the 3-D sculpting and animation world and still always helps me. Check out the video about the app at the least and buy it when it comes out, but maybe kick a few bucks to help it get made.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...my-for-artists
Old 03-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Level 8 user

Re: anatomy for artist app!!

That looks very nice.
I won't rain on his parade but the PhD biologist in me asks several questions:
When did Gray's Anatomy become superfluous?
I've never met anybody whose anatomy came close to that model.
Where's the part that transfers the anatomy to the wood/stone/metal?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Level 6 user

Yes greys is great for medical school, though Netters is better but for artists its kinda hard to see the pictures. I use anatomy for artist by goldfinger for book reference this seems to be a great pocket reference bases on a famous sculpt that is posed. As far as tranfering it to material I don't get that question. But yeah there are a dozen books better for anatomy than greys ( which is great) And yes I van list books as good blah blah....I work in the medical field as an artist that makes the medical models they use as teaching aids in schools.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Level 8 user

Seth: that makes it a very distinct possibility that I used your anatomical models for 31 years as a Bio prof.
True, there are several good reference texts, I was fortunate enough not to have to pay any attention to text selection. Let the A&P people do it.
My design, drawing and painting skills seem adequate for wood carvings and sculpture.
I was bemoaning the puzzle of transferring that "appearance" of the human form to the ground, wood, stone, metal, etc. I look at Blake's figurative works here = they appear to be real people.

I have worked up a green sea turtle body in the very best western red cedar that I have ever carved. Today is the head and neck = lots of pictures but I need my pencil and plain paper! I don't know diddly squat about turtles of any sort. #2 might be in a 24" piece of WRC log, 18" diameter.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Level 6 user

wow thats cool you know our models, i would love to see the turtle. I mentioned to my friend your thoughts and passed them on. I think the way its used is if your out somewhere or even home sculpting or drawing instead of flipping through a book and have to deal with one angle on say a muscle or a small drawing , you can zoom in and tumble it to a new angle.

all on your phone, computer or tablet (ipad).

Thanks for your feedback, i think it made the point that its not just what it does but when do you use it.

post some turtle pix!