View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Delegation in Vermont Protests Outsourcing of MLK Memorial

I do not think that colour sould be a factor when selecting a sculptor. The problem in America is, we have the granite but why not the sculptor? The European sculptors who migrated to the U.S. do wonderful works for churches all over the world. We had a Broglum and a Houser who did the Mount Rushmore faces of the presidents. I am sure there are sculptors locally who can do the MLK monument. There is only one problem: How many of them knew about the memorial and were invited to compete? How did the distant Lei found out about this competition and sculptors in the continental U.S. were unaware?
There is nothing wrong with the selection already made. We as a nation must not be so self centered. Especially when the horse is already out of the barn. We should not close the door on China. We should treat people as MLK said, based on the content of their character, not by the colour of their skins. White sculptor, Yellow sculptor, Brown sculptor, Black sculptor, Green sculptor....what difference should it make? Why can't the same man who sculpted Mao sculpt MLK? Why does it have to be Vermont granite and not Yule marble?
The politics of art again.
If China was donating the sculpture as a gift, I am sure we would not refuse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05302.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	7868  

Last edited by marblecutter : 02-22-2008 at 12:35 PM.