Thread: Forum
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 11:42 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspero View Post
I just keep reading and posting. I figure that sooner or later sculptors will tire of parading on Facebook and will re-discover a need for a forum of thought and ideas.

Richard
As I've said in another thread, facebook sucks, the whole layout, all of it is just awfull- full of clutter, unrelated garbage, annoyances and the infinite scrolling on a page down and down and down with everything trying to load at the same time never worked well anywhere on the web- it's one of the major gripes people have about flickr's change to infinite scrolling of huge numbers of large images, most of which have nothing to do with your interests.

I've always preferred the forum layout with separated topical folders neatly indexed, clear, plain interface free of unrelated crap, ads and stuff vying for your attention like sidebars. I always liked internal messaging, profiles, ability to attach or embed or link to photos and more, being able to format your text in many ways, to go back and edit as you wish etc.

Sculpture, art, paintings, drawings, crafts etc are something that really work best on an interactive layout such as a forum, with minimal graphics in the interface so the focus is on the art and discussion- not the bells and whistles of the format of the layout and the interface.
I've almost always used the very easy to use Simple Machines board software and set it to display large thumbnails for attachments, interesting thumbnails can be clicked to see the full sized version, this works well to avoid bogging down a thread with dozens to hundreds of full sized often far too wide to display images which causes side-scrolling and broken tables.

The forum interface I've always felt is the best format for art related discussions.

Quote:
The most active forum I know of is Smokstak. It's a bunch of old engine fanatics. Two or three pages of new posts every day.

I hope you get something going. I miss the sculpture conversations, though I don't miss the elitism, bordering on ridicule, that frequently seemed to suppress things here.
Richard
That would be a very narrow specialty interest forum which is why it does well.
I don't know that I've seen elitism here, but keep in mind this forum is run by the international sculpture center- publisher of sculpture magazine, if you research back a bit.
Quote:
The International Sculpture Center (ISC) is a member-supported, nonprofit organization founded in 1960 to champion the creation and understanding of sculpture and its unique, vital contribution to society. Members include sculptors, collectors, patrons, architects, developers, journalists, curators, historians, critics, educators, foundries, galleries, and museums—anyone with an interest in and commitment to the field of sculpture.
Based in Washington DC their focus for this whole web site and sculpture.org it's parent is selling memberships and web advertising, joining is not cheap:

Quote:
Basic Member
$100 US/Canada/Mexico; $120 International

Professional
$350 US/Canada/Mexico; $370 International.

I joined the NSS instead, but my point here is this site is not JUST this forum, this forum is nothing more than a sideline to it, almost an afterthought and it's not obviously part of the main site because when you visit the sculpture.net url this board is all you get which leads people to think the entire focus and meaning for this board is to be here for a discussion forum. In actuality it's only a minor sideline for the main site which is selling memberships and magazines, that is why there's little interest in running/expanding/moderating it- it's not something that generates revenue, as a result there's very little motivation to more with this board than just let it sit here.

This board and the ISC behind it unfortunately for me- have most of the focus on contemporary, abstract and modern sculptures, I don't do figure sculptures or any of the aforementioned, so there's very little here at all of interest to me for content because the majority of it is so unrelated to my own work and vice-versa.

The other board someone mentioned- figurativesculptures has a focus only on figure sculpture which is of no interest for me and vice-versa there too.