View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Level 3 user

Re: Is it worth it to learn to use a digital sculpting program?

I agree that it does take energy and time to keep up with the computer age. Of course I prefer not to be tied to a keyboard either but it has made so many things so much easier that I am not the least bit sorry for taking the time to learn enough about some of the programs to take advantage of these time saving tools. I can't imagine having to go back to real film, invest time and money on film and processing and have to wait until the film was returned to see if any of the photos were usable. If they were not I had to start the whole process over again. This made applying for shows with deadlines a nightmare. My only other option was paying professional photoagrahers to tdo the job but that was cost prohibitive. I still get my hands dirty and do all my art with my hands up to the point that I no longer have the skills such as in the casting of the bronze, but to be able to use modern tools to eliminate uneccesary steps is a huge help if you ask me.
I don't want to see digital take over hand made, and don't think it ever can but I have nothing against making my process easier if I can.