View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Lost in Monotony: After college dilemma

[quote=evaldart;98928]
And there is NOTHING better than critical/original thought to prepare you for WHATEVER you will be doing with your existence. Nothing. The academic environment is, theoretically, FOR this. QUOTE]

Yes, "theoretically" is indeed the operative word here. That used to be what one could expect in higher education. Unfortunately, the university system is far from being the place for it currently. In the main, orignal thought is restricted to a leftist world view and there is often a zero tolerence policy, unwritten but in effect, for thoughts and opinions that oppose those views.
"Hate speech" is banned, and the definition of "hate speech" is basically if you have Christian conservative opinions and are foolish enough to voice them.

At the undergraduate level, the tendancy of the student body is to absorb, not to challenge. The pressure to keep good grades keeps most people from challenging the status quo of what is being taught. I found myself to be an exception when I returned to college fresh from the REAL world with new ideas and perspectives. I did not care about grades and professors teachings as much as I cared for arriving at the truth of the matters at hand. So I spoke out when I found professors abusing the trust of their students by teaching or promoting lies. I was the pretty much the only one doing that, although after class some other students would introduce themselves and become friends because they liked what I said. And more often than not these would be students who had come here from other countries, where maybe they had not been given the same world view since grade school.

The greatest amount of original thought in an academic setting that I have found was at the Atelier, where artists were being trained by artists to learn the craft of art, and there were no grades or final exams. It opened my mind largely to learn about much that was entirely neglected in art history books and classes I took at the universities. There was as much political and other dioversity there as anywhre else, but it was not part of any agenda, and in fact there were no classes that were a waste of time. I even taught an architecture class while going there, because some students wanted to learn what I had to offer. Imagine something like that happening at a university! It would never happen!