View Single Post
Old 11-01-2004, 01:28 PM

ISC Fall Conference experiences

At 1:30 a.m. this morning I got home from the ISC Fall Symposium. It was a very stimulating, well planned weekend spent with very good people. Russ gave an excellent presentation on the New Technologies/New Vistas panel (more about that later), in which he mentioned this community, Sam's Dream Tour as an example of the good things that are posted here, mentioned someone named JAZ who was in the audience, and then gave a good explanation of his working methods on the as-yet-unnamed sculpture comission he recently posted here. Saturday night Russ, Fritchie and I went to Fritchie's gallery, where he discovered they had just sold one of his bronzes to someone at the conference. Fritchie and three of us had dinner at a cafe that night, then walked along the Mississippi, looking at the water, the public sculptures there and enjoying the 70 degree evening. (It was 83-90 during the day this weekend). Fritchie gave us many insights into the history, art and culture of his beautiful city of New Orleans. Because it was Halloween weekend there were people on the streets in costume. Bourbon Street was jammed with freaks and ghouls, but we opted for the river. Fritchie and Russ actually are real, not just avatars.

Roughly 200 people attended the symposium(and there was a waiting list), which made it more intimate than the ICS conferences, which Iíve been told have more like 2,000 attendees. This was my first ISC event and I enjoyed every minute. Great networking, presentations, art and locale.

Iíll post bits at a time to give you a quick synopsis (since Iím dying to get to my own work!). There were more openings and other events that I was not able to get to, though I packed in all that would fit in the time there. I took the earliest plane I could get a seat on on Friday, which was scheduled to leave Manchester, NH at 9:50 am. It was a half hour late and it took another hour and fifteen minutes to get by shuttle from the airport to the hotel, so I wasnít able to register at the Contemporary Art Center in New Orleans until 4:30. We had all been told to bring five slides for an on-going slide loop, and there were iron pours and other demos, all of which had already happened by the time I arrived. But there was plenty more to come.

The first stop was the Virlane Collection Open House at K & B Plaza, which had works both inide (1st and 7th floors, in and among the office spaces) and on the plaza outside the building. Since the building closed at 5:00, two of the images Iím posting here donít have info on the sculptor, because there was no time. The Noguchi fountain outside was there when the Bishoffs purchased the building and was the incentive for the rest of the collection. Imagine sitting at your desk, on the job, with a Niki de Saint Phalle or a Trova right next to you. The collections started with realist paintings and sculpture (like the Duane Hanson here), but then broadened. These examples will give you an idea of the range. Sorry I donít have all of the names. The wooden one is by someone whose work I know, but I canít recall who. I took a photo of base of the stainless being where the name and title were, but itís unreable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ISC---Hanson.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	1239  Click image for larger version

Name:	ISC-Noguchi,-etc.jpg
Views:	1171
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1240  Click image for larger version

Name:	ISC-sitting-man.jpg
Views:	1076