View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Level 10 user

Re: What's your intension as an artist?

How are most of us familiar with the classical works of our ancient past? Sure, some through first hand experience, but most through historical texts with pictures. Those texts are saddled to us – for some like myself, exposed to art history books at an early age - they are the very reason we sculpt. Likewise, every label we’ve ever read in a museum, every tool manual we’ve poured over, text informs our enjoyment of sculpture, our ability to manifest our visions, our continued passion in our craft and our own particular criticisms. One may claim that these texts are not part of the literal artistic process of making - but can anyone truly claim not to be influenced by text? Ever?!

My point in previous posts was that I don’t believe in the ability to exclude writing (be it history, criticism, or poetry) from the act of sculpting. I do NOT see writing as something that only happens AFTER the Art – after all – can you really separate Michelangelo’s David from the biblical reference? Why on Earth would you want to! The writing is solid subject – deliberately informing the hand of the artist.

I will remind you too that I am not in the camp that thinks that the “Art” is pure act – I believe in an “Art” that is INCLUSIVE – the act, the object, the subject and the changing context. I believe too that art has a social function – as time rolls along that function changes – eventually resigning “Art” to artifact – a document. Michelangelo’s David was Art in its day, but now it is only a record of that Art – thanks largely to the considerate dedication of art historians. That said, it is a nice piece of stone, would have been a shame to lose it (like so many fine sculpture only referenced in writing).

Joe - as far as the Smith quotes – I never listen to artists, they are far too selfish to know much about what they actually do (when they don’t just lie outright).

Grommet - my students know that writing, reading and sculpting are intrinsically linked. I encourage writing – insist on it actually. Doing so has consistently given me better sculptors.

Lastly, imagine an alien visitor to Earth – what would they make of that mis-proportioned David statue?! Would it be more than a “funny lookin’ rock” without the historical context? Something to consider perhaps.

We should be more open-minded about our shared passion. I will never claim to know anything as absolutely as some here tout. That attitude is bravado at best. I love the “scribblers.” I respond to them and rely on them. Lets show them some love already!

Last edited by cheesepaws : 12-13-2008 at 03:46 PM.