View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Level 1 user

Lost in Monotony: After college dilemma

Hi all,

It's been quite a while since I posted here, with my college portfolio. I've encountered some pretty disappointing times, and I am hoping to pick the experienced sculptor's brains here to get on the right track.

Here is the situation:

Since my BFA graduation in 2009, I have not payed a dime back on the loans and other debts I acquired during those four years at SCAD in Atlanta. This seems like the least of my worries, but having a minimum wage job doesn't make the future seem any brighter, considering.

I want so badly to begin creating sculpture again, but lack the time to do so. I took my minimum wage position because of the shop access, but I can't afford materials to create anything....

I feel like I am in such a rut. I am constantly coming up with great ideas, most of which are so different and new for me, as well as for the sculpture community as a whole. I feel like my work could really resonate and change things if I had a real chance.

I have been looking into residencies, graduate schools, and even internships (despite the whole financial problem). I just want to move on to something better, but I feel trapped. I am living with my parents at home, and I feel like I am disappointing them because I have nothing planned, and nothing to really look forward to.

What is the next step? How do I save myself from this boring 9 to 5 dribble that I have unwilling prescribed to? My grand dreams of a contemporary lifestyle and work environment are slowly slipping away from me. I need a catalyst, but I really don't know where to begin.

I would really hate to think that my professors, as wonderful as they were, left me unprepared for the real world.