View Single Post
Old 06-11-2004, 11:55 PM

Re: Dream Sculpture Tour!

After leaving Grand Rapids, we had intended to stay just outside Toledo before we visited their Art Museum and Sculpture Garden. But as is happening quite often on this trip, we had a hard time finding a convenient hotel on the Interstate. So, we ended up just driving right to the Museum where we were lucky to find it open late on Fridays. In addition, they were having an opening for an exhibit of local artist complete with live music and catering. We never actually got to see the exhibit however, they were waiting until after the presentation to open the doors.

I really liked the Museum. It has some nice personality with a very charmingly laid out sculpture park in front. The highlight for me was the sculpture by Albert Paley. It was an education. I learned more in that 15 minutes pouring over it than I could hammering away on my own for a couple years. If I see nothing else on this trip, that sculpture, a small welded steel sculpture by Richard Hunt in Milwaukee and the Di Suvero in the Frederik Meijer will have made it all worth while.

L to R: Calder (with David Smith in back), Albert Paley, George Rickey (detail)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calder.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	739  Click image for larger version

Name:	Paley.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	740  Click image for larger version

Name:	Rickey.jpg
Views:	460