View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 04:41 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Lost in Monotony: After college dilemma

Being frustrated is a good thing. At least you feel the lack of support that you had while you were at SCAD. So many students leave school, never make art again…and never really miss it. So you are one up!

You have already gotten some great “just do it” advice form folks here – listen to them. Reaching out for guidance on this forum is a great start.

Also, like has already been mentioned, there are many great ways to continue your education in art/object making – but really, given your background, portfolio and suggested expectations for a “job” – grad school is your best option. Ries already mentioned you could probably go very cheaply to a good grad school (for example, I think I only paid about $200 a semester in fees at a large east coast state school.) Once back in school you can defer your undergraduate loans (or, more responsibly, make reduced payments) and you can pick up some awesome and inexpensive health care (that might be a nice gesture toward repaying your family for their support). Pick a program that maximizes the resources YOU are interested in. Studio space, tool facilities and professors who make work that might align with your own ideas is a great place to start. School – ANY SCHOOL – is only what you make of it. The bulk of the responsibility is always on the student to work hard, ask questions and seek out opportunities. Grad school (or undergrad) never guarantees you any kind of job but it certainly might make finding a job that meets your expectations much easier than some of the alternatives mentioned. Of course, with experience, expectations change. All systems have their pros and cons. Given how academic your work already is – I think you would flourish in an MFA program.

Oh – and your school DID provide you with resources for employment. Below is a link to the career/alumni service center at SCAD. You paid for access to these networks and I am sure they can help support you in many ways. However, in the end the “job” of being an artist has as many different meanings as there are students - YOU must define how you want to make art before any fellow artists, parents or professors can dole out guidance that best fits you.

If you are still not sure about grad school – or if you have missed the application deadlines for the program you are interested in – contact your student loan officer and ask for a “hardship” deferment – it will buy you some time and perhaps free up some more resources for strengthening your portfolio even further.

Best of luck!

CP

http://www.scad.edu/connect/career-services/index.cfm