View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Sec. of Arts petition

[quote=donnadodsonarti;71780]I think what the arts need at a national level is re-branding in the eyes of the public who think that national support for the arts=mapplethorpe, piss christ and karen finlay. I think at a national level, you're going to have to get a direction or an administrative charge from Obama to steer the national arts policy in a certain direction. [quote]

See, now you're talking censorship and the mere fact that a piss christ can exist tells me there is no censorship at present and I for one would like to see it continue on that way.. I'm not disagreeing with you in that the U.S. could use a good "re-brand" to bring legitimacy to Art, but that is another story entirely. What concerns me, even disgusts me is that governments have already done these things across the globe and the results were all the same: Saddam statues in the end, one and all... I am all in favor of excess monies being given out as grants to Artists and such with reasonable proposals for public works and the like. The problem is that in Mass (I grew up there) and in other "progressive" states like California (where I also lived), the government workforce exceeds the civilian one and there is no excess money as there should be. In fact these models are failing, these two states are bankrupt, the populations flee like locusts to other states and wreck them too. Keep the govt. away from Art and all will be well. Involve them, and pretty soon we'll see towns riddled with little Stalins. For the first time in history the U.S. govt. is larger than the U.S. manufacturing and construction workforces combined. 1 in 14 workers is a govt. one. 1 in 15 is a manufacturer or construction worker. Just who do they think they get their paycheck from?