View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 02:52 AM
ISC Professional Member

Re: THE LAST FRAGMENTS EXHIBITION

Carrying on in the spirit of our campaign, the Fragments collection will continue to raise awareness of the problems caused by remnants of war and fund landmine clearance. In 2007 and 2008, we exhibited the Fragments collection in the following venues where sales of the sculptures helped to clear landmines in Vietnam and to map minefields in Angola, as well as providing mine risk education to civilians in Afghanistan.
• Canada House Gallery, Trafalgar Square, London
• La Galleria, 5 Pall Mall, London
• Chapter House, Canterbury Cathedral, Canterbury, Kent
• The Smithfield Gallery, City of London
• The London Stock Exchange, City of London
• Haberdashers Hall, City of London, UK
• Chelsea Arts Tower, Chelsea, New York, New York
• Saint Ethelburga’s Centre London, UK
• Studio Monte-Carlo Monaco
• Inner Market Square Guernsey Channel Islands

From a starting point some ten years ago, this collection has evolved into a unique series of sculptures that extends the purpose of my art further than ever before by addressing this serious social concern.
This artwork expresses concern for our future has lead me to create art with a humanitarian purpose.

I call this intentional art in that it contains political and social commentary concerning our society as well as a concept and a purpose “it is working to save lives” and it is speaking not only about our tragic nature, but also of the issue; the global crisis concerning remnants of war.
Intentional art is important not only for its aesthetic value but also for its social impact.
For beyond the literal and symbolic messages communicated by this work there is also a certain beauty and it is within this beauty that we can find hope.

I have deliberately named each of these sculptures after a different type of landmine in order to communicate the connection with the issue and also to illustrate what these remnants of war do both literally and symbolically to the human body and to our societies.

With this series, my art is accomplishing more than just commenting on our society; it has become part of the solution. The cause is a noble one and your support has been the foundation of our success.

This Guernsey Exhibition is devoted to assist Mine Awareness Trust in clearing a NATO cluster bomb strike, delivered in 1996, outside of the cite of Peja in Kosovo.

With this exhibition the Fragments campaign will be finished for this year, we will take up the cause again next year and I will continue to offer the sculpture to assist in this crisis. I thank you all for your confidence.

Kind Regards
Blake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Butterfield-.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	9484  Click image for larger version

Name:	Butterfly-Brand-web.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	9485