View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Level 6 user

Location: 17415 Meadow View Drive, Hidden Valley Lake, CA 95467
Re: Port Huron Mining Memorial and Bronze Sculpture

Sorry, this type of bronze monument isn't your cup of tea, however, it was what my clients/selection committee wanted (see attached photos of the finished bronze). They wanted a heroic looking miner rendered realistically to represent the 22 miners who died in a mining accident (they even dictated that he be holding a lunchpail and a pic axe). They wanted something their community and the families of the miners could identify with, and they needed something they could afford.

I love being able to expand my creative imagination further and having a larger budget to work with (like a monument I am presently working on for a veterans memorial which I was set free to design). But that kind of freedom is rarely the case.

So you do the very best you can and feel good, as I did, when the miner bronze was unveiled and the families of the men who perished in that horrible explosion came up to me with tears in their eyes because I'd given exactly what they wanted and needed for closure. I love all types of sculpture and I think this kind of bronze memorial has its place--I certainly have no regrets and make no apologies for sculpting it.

Much creativity to you
Paula
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MichiganMiner%20164acropWEBa.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	8114  Click image for larger version

Name:	MichiganMiner%20163bWEB.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	8115  

Last edited by Berinje' : 04-02-2008 at 09:01 AM.