View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Difference between Art and Craft - A Craftsman's Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris 71 View Post
but i had hoped that to be an artist it didnt require anything more than a true passion and god given talent that cant be taught or bought in any school or any where eles.
Hmmm.

It’s like relationships. When you first meet someone who you are really attracted to you do the dance of infatuation. EVERYTHING is exciting and unknown. You cry and laugh and screw and talk about the impossible unknowns of an imagined future. IT IS FANTASTC!!!

But infatuation is NOT love. Love in a lasting partnership endures hardships and requires tireless work. Why? Because no one person is static. Changes in personal growth (both psychological and physical) as well as shared finances, parenthood, career, and extended family require endless maintenance. Couples in a relationship of depth work in tandem for the betterment of something other than just personal gratification. It can be impossibly grueling. But, if you strike that balance and endure the work - then the rewards are even MORE FANTASTIC …The tears are MORE HEARTFELT, the laughter is from DEEPER in your belly, the screwing is MORE SATIFYING and the once imagined conversations about a future are now excitingly tangible.

Art making is a relationship. You can remain infatuated with object making and be quite happy. I admit…it is all romantic and exciting. You can also opt to endure a bit of hardship – to study art history, to care about the context of your work, to ceaselessly research new materials, new processes, and new artists, to acknowledge that there is a business side to the profession and to serve those needs as well as the call of the studio. Then, perhaps, you will find something else - something potentially more rich and rewarding than a primal response to one’s interest and talent - something more than infatuation.

It requires faith to push through the hard work and dedication – and there are still no guarantees that you will find new answers or be granted any reward. But how many things of value in this world do not require some sacrifice?

With regard to training itself as a marker of "craft" rather than art - well, I simply continue to disagree. Training is labor and labor is growth. Growth and Art seem like good companions to me.

PS: Not all the answers are in art school but, out of curiosity, why can’t you go to one?