View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 10:41 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Possible project

And now a possible other possible project in a different state pops up out of the blue in response to an email I sent months ago!
I totally forgot about it, but this committee wrote regarding a stolen architectural stone carving on a well loved 1930s structure and that the planned restorations/repairs were moving forward now and that they are very interested in keeping in contact with me about possibly modelling a replacement panel for the one that was stolen, that is unless the contractor who does the masonary repairs, repointing etc has someone already who does this kind of work.

I wrote back and said it's unlikely a mason, masonry repair firm would have someone on staff who is a sculptor, they would almost certainly have to use a third party since calls to replicate stolen architectural sculptures from photos are few and far between.

There were 8 different designs each on carved 4" thick stone slabs about what seems to be I guess 40" tall by maybe 30" wide or thereabouts, hard to tell scale from the pictures and I haven't found any yet with people in them, but going by the doorway size the stones look to be about 40" tall maybe a little less.

They are about 10 feet above the ground, somehow one of them was pried out and stolen in the middle of the night.

I gather there is not enough funds to pay for replacing it with a carved stone, but concrete is an option, just the color will differ from the surrounding limestone, but it's better than the black hole that is there now...

I don't know if anything will come about from it, I don't carve stone but I can certainly make a model from photos, and if a concrete replacement is suitable then I can do that. The designs are those somewhat crude and not very detailed minimalist figural designs you see that were made in the 1930s and early 1940s, not far removed from my Sunworshipper panel pictured here.

Last edited by Art-Deco : 01-24-2014 at 10:59 PM.