View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Level 10 user

the art gave an arm and a leg

This is the "Snake King", original art created by the truck load for Chipotle restaurants, a Mexican food chain owned by McDonald's. My task was to do the install in a bunch of restaurants. The King was 9 feet long and the wall he was to be mounted to was supposed to be 13 feet long. For some reason the general contractor made this wall a bit less than 9'.

The McDonald suites were doing the walk through that night, had to get done. So I got my saw out and literally whacked off an arm from one side of the King and a leg from the other. That made the beast only 7 feet long, see how nice he fits?

Once the general contractor, project manager and McDonald's suites arrived I realized in horror that I had forgotten to remove the whacked arm and leg, they were sitting on a table in front of the King.

Three different times during the walk through they picked up the severed members and asked each other, "where do these go?" No one ever figured it out. Later I removed the parts for a quiet proper burial.

I think this event makes some sort of statement about art in general or maybe some artists in particular, but I don't know what the statement is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snake-King.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	5857  
Continuing to win the struggle against enlightenment, wisdom, and a socially acceptable legacy.