View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 06:54 PM
Level 10 user

Re: How does one break into the monumental sculpture arena?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastrid View Post
Very informative, thank you. I'm assuming that by Public Art, you mean temporary installations? I've seen a few calls such as that, but it seemed as though they were asking for already existing sculpture. Perhaps either I was mistaken or haven't come across any such calls.
A lot of cities now are involved in 'Sculpture Walks' where they will choose 25 or so sculptures to be installed on their streets for a year. You bring it in, set it up with their help and people vote for their favorites and if yours gets the most votes, the town buys it and they keep it permanently. They also have awards where you can win some money. This is a great way to get some exposure. Most will insure your piece against theft or vandalism but some won't and I would steer clear of them unless you have your own insurance that will cover it and from what I know it's not easy to get. It's also a great way to meet other sculptors, since everybody gets together for the 'opening days', they put you up at a hotel and give you a tee shirt! Try it. I've enjoyed the ones I've been involved in.

(P.S. The 'Lucy' sculpture is REALLY bad!)