View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Oldenburg Sues/Everybody Sues/ Sculpture Sits

Evaldart, you may not think its art if its too big, but other people might.

I, for instance, maintain that both the Statue of Liberty and Mt. Rushmore are "Art". In each case, there was an artist, who had a career behind him of sculpture, with a solid grasp of making sculptures himself, who realistically realized that help was essential.

Each of us gets to make the decision for ourselves what is too big, and where to draw the line.
Obviously, many people, including people who pay for them, consider Oldenburg's sculptures to be Art.

Regardless, the issue here is not size- its management.
And I can certainly understand why many artists steer clear of projects so big they require more management than creativity.
But if your vision is large, you have to have help.

Personally, I have not spent $60,000 on an engineer on one project, although my wife has been involved in a couple of projects where the client paid much more than that for engineering and engineering integration with the building for her work.
Engineering is billed by the hour, and its usually pretty transparent- not a lot of room for villa's in Italy in most engineer bills I have paid.

I have hired quite a few engineers over the years, many times for quite reasonable amounts, usually to draw and stamp the design I give them to begin with. Although I do rely on engineers for footings, and seismic calcs.

Good engineers are a bargain, in my book. As Glenn pointed out, they carry insurance, actually usually errors and ommissions, not straight liability, but they also are licenced with the state, and therefore help to get seemingly wild sculptural ideas accepted by big money people. This is a comfort to the client, and even though I KNOW I can build a solid piece, structurally, the engineer acts as a traditionally accepted assurance to the client that the artwork will stand up.

An engineer who can engineer an artwork is a whole nother beast from a guy who looks up beam spans in a book, for a home addition. My main engineer worked for years for Ove-Arup, the premier international firm, is an expert in cable structures, and has worked with some of the biggest artists out there. He is a delight to work with, and worth every penny I pay him (or dont, when I trade him furniture for his patio...)