Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net

Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net (http://www.sculpture.net/community/index.php)
-   Sculpture focus topics (http://www.sculpture.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Singing Ringing Tree (http://www.sculpture.net/community/showthread.php?t=7073)

allenring 02-14-2008 08:41 AM

The Singing Ringing Tree

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the Singing Ringing Tree, a droll literal name for a very interesting sculpture.

This link is a short video of the beast doing its thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B0hGyKV9qs&NR=1

Here is a video of the COMMITTEE that designed and built it and what it means to the locals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS3ug...eature=related

GlennT 02-14-2008 10:26 AM

Re: The Singing Ringing Tree

Thanks for the links. I like this piece both for the sound achievement and the compelling form of it.

evaldart 02-14-2008 10:40 AM

Yeah thanks...Its a damn nice object with ane helluva bonus feature in that wind-driven eerie whistling. I wonder if there was any effort at some form of tuning. Thats not as difficult as you might think.

allenring 02-14-2008 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like it evaldart, check out the pic, looks like they cut slots in the pipes to tune them. Someone made a musical decision about octaves while someone else wanted to preserve symmetry. It also looks like they used galvanized pipe instead of stainless, must have been to save money.

ironman 02-14-2008 07:50 PM

Hi, If you like that you should also like www.animusic.com , it is really great!
Have a great day,
Jeff

racine 02-14-2008 08:57 PM

yes a pity its not more durable and the siting still looks very raw-fenced off like that, perhaps needs lifting to make idiot proof.- wonderful sound, good cloud like form. silly title. evocative of the imagined sonic sculptures from j g ballards short stories, vermillion sands etc, makes burnley a little more exotic.. i like it very much.

allenring 02-14-2008 08:59 PM

ironman, that animusic thing looked like a gimmick, but on fifth look I ordered DVD #2, groovy man, and I used to think that black light posters were so cool, gads look what the kids have now days!

Speaking of which, I still listen once every few years to Mike Ogelfields? Tubular Bells, have it on vinyl only, the ringing singing tree (back on topic) just knocked that memory loose.

allenring 02-14-2008 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In my world view it does not get much better than this piece. It is very site specific which gives it meaning and relevance. They had to develop and start with an engineering spec and then decide how to execute it aesthetically.

The pipes of different lengths and facing in every horizontal direction are a no brainier, there are not many other solutions. But I can see the techies working on a small model piling them up nice and even in the shop when in walks the dog and with that big ol lab tail knocks the whole pile sideways, and a thing of beauty is borne.

Actually that is not entirely fair, here is a pic of the winning design, atributed to an architectural firm,

Designed by: Tonkin Liu Ltd, architects'

Merlion 02-14-2008 09:50 PM

This is the award that this sculpture won.

Ringing Singing Tree Wins Award

Burnleys Panopticon design, The Singing Ringing Tree, by architects Tonkin Liu Ltd, has won an award in an international design competition sponsored by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA). ...

suburbanartists 02-15-2008 02:48 PM

I think i'll get a Vicor to open up our Block Island show. Love the Bling he's sporting in the committee video. I actually liked the wind piece a bit more before i saw the parade of Who's who wanna bees gushing drivel. I wanted to like it but the endless pontification crushed it for me. Now it just looks like stacked pipes and sounds like Rt 95.

GlennT 02-15-2008 07:22 PM

If you compare the amount of gushing drivel that is given to much less worthy aspects of our society, (the merits of politicians, for example), it makes me more tolerant of listening to a bunch of people get excited over a work of art, even if that means giving them some extra time to bloviate.

fritchie 02-18-2008 07:06 PM

I agree it's a great form and idea, regardless of actual sound. I still don't do video or sound on my computer here, just not my cups of tea. I'm a coffee boy.

allenring 02-18-2008 08:05 PM

I liked the committee video, it involved a lot of people expressing their enthusiasm using real words, not indecipherable art speak, for something they were proud of.

malakiblunt 02-19-2008 08:30 AM

The Singing Ringing tree is also a Cult childrens program that was showne in the uk in the early 70's though i think it was made in romanina or some were like that

Merlion 02-19-2008 09:36 AM

You are right. It was a children's TV program. Here is a link.
The Singing, Ringing Tree, cult 60s kid's TV

If you watched TV in Britain in the 60s or 70s you may remember this. It started life in East Germany as a film, part of a series of fairy stories. The BBC dubbed it into English and showed it in three parts. People remember it because it was so scary.

chris 71 02-19-2008 07:36 PM

i really liked this sculpture and the sound is really cool. but i wonder if after a while it might just be an irritant. in a place like this where there is so much wind blowing all the time it might be nice to visit just to sit and listen to the wind howl on its on. i love the sound of a good wind by itself.

Merlion 02-19-2008 09:30 PM

I agree about the noise being a irratant if one stays or works nearby. But there should be some variation of tones when the wind direction changes. The tones vary according to the pipe lengths.