Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net

Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net (http://www.sculpture.net/community/index.php)
-   New Technologies (http://www.sculpture.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   mother mold resin material (http://www.sculpture.net/community/showthread.php?t=1589)

excode 05-30-2005 05:01 PM

mother mold resin material

I am trying to find the product that is two part resin/hardener for making mother molds. It is much lighter and thinner than plaster and could be shipped cheaper because of the weight difference. Something like resin cast...can anyone help?

Jamo 05-30-2005 05:26 PM

Re: mother mold resin material

It is more expensive like this but if you are willing to pay. I would use polyurethane its somewhat cheaper. And I would buy a filler for it to cut down on cost.You can buy a large box of tiny tiny glass bubbles from 3m I forget what they are called but if you are interested I can find the name. The bubbles can be mixed with liquid plastic or polyurethane. If you want to do a large volume of these molds you can get a 5 gallon kit of urethane or liquid plastic for around $650 canadian plus around 150 bucks for a huge box of these glass bubbles (the box is about 4 feet tall by 2 feet square). Check 3m's website for this. also for the liquid plastic check out sculpturesupply.com. This will do alot of molds. If you are only doing one small mold. I would go buy some autobody fiberglassing resin at a local shop fairly cheap and very stinky and unhealthy. But if you think it's too stinky get some polyurethane. You can also check out boat building supplies they may have a suitable resin that you are looking for.

fused 05-31-2005 12:33 AM

If there is a boat builder near you, look into fiberglas. This will give you light wieght molds that are strong, durable, and re-usable. This material will be most affordable IF there is a source nearby, and if it is a manufacturing/production factory they can also give you good advice on it's use.

Plaster, is much more affordable than polyester resins and if you add 24 oz. "woven roven" to it (roven is a thick fiberglas strand) maybe you can reduce the weight while maintaining good strong molds.

Jamo 05-31-2005 07:34 AM

Resin will ship alot easier than plaster without fear of breaking as well. Another alternative is hydrocal. It is a gypsum product that mixes like plaster however takes a while longer to set. It is much more durable than plaster
but slightly more expensive and way cheaper than resin.

excode 05-31-2005 06:04 PM

Thanks.
It is polygel 75 and it has low fumes. I am using polygel40 for my mold rubber and am VERY happy with it. Polygel 75 is hard two part polyurethane plastic.
Thank you for the replies. I could ship a large multi-piece mold outstate and cast there. That much plaster would be so heavy to ship! Very permanent too.

notso 06-09-2005 03:26 AM

just a little thing, but do you really need to have it shipped?? -sry just seems weird that you don't have a closer art supply?

-well anyway, it may be a bit beyond you in price range at the mo, but have a look at rubber moulding compounds like "gelflex".
it comes in two colours (white=soft/ blue=harder 6 per kilo here, but cheaper in bulk) http://www.tiranti.co.uk/indexhome.asp

can easily be used to make very complex finishes (and will have little problems when it comes to undercuts) all you need to do is melt it down and pour over. this could be used as is (if it is thick enough to hold its own weight, without deformation)
in your case though, i would maybe look at doing a thin layer (2-5mm) and backing it with a plaster/hydrocal jacket (just remember your locating pins!)

this would mean you wouldn't have to worry about the fast set of the hydro -you would build it up in a similar way to using brass shrim to make piece mould, you just have to file the surface back to the join and then gently open like you would any other mould

hope it helps