Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net

Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net (http://www.sculpture.net/community/index.php)
-   Sculpture Community and ISC topics (http://www.sculpture.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Public displaying of Nude Art (http://www.sculpture.net/community/showthread.php?t=1859)

Merlion 03-15-2007 07:55 PM

Re: Public displaying of Nude Art

The park has many nude sculptures. It is the statues along this bridge that this puritanical prankster left his/her fig-leaf trail.

Merlion 03-22-2007 09:18 AM

The Seattle Art Museum was landed with a million dollar problem to solve, related to the public displaying of a nude male. Read on if you want to see how they solved it.

At the bottom are two links to photos of the final sculpture.

Seattle Answers Challenge Of Naked Art Sculpture

SEATTLE - A dying man left the Seattle Art Museum a million dollars for a statue.

But not just for any statue. He said the sculpture had to include a naked man, or, the museum doesn't get the money.

The new statue will be prominently displayed at the Seattle Art Museum's new sculpture park on the waterfront near where the trolley will come in.

There are crude sketches that show the sculpture "Father and Son". It is the work of renowned artist Louise Bourgeois.

The estate of art lover Stu Smailes is paying for the million-dollar piece.

But his lawyer says Smailes threw a hitch in to his will -- any sculpture he paid for had to include a nude male.

"So it was really a challenge to the city: 'Will you use my money to do what I want?' " said Tim Bradbury, attorney for the Smailes Estate. "And they did."

Lisa Corrin, the artistic lead for the sculpture park, says the Seattle Art Museum never balked at the challenge.

"It was never an issue," she said. "I can say that with my hand over my heart. The nakedness in the piece is not gratuitous, it's very much about an emotional nakedness they become very vulnerable to each other."

The father and son figures, made of stainless steel, reach out to one another, but one or the other is always shrouded in water.

"So this father and son are endlessly seeking each other and never being able to reach each other," Bradbury said.....

Link to photo of Louise Bourgeois's "Father and Son". And here is a bird's eye view of the same fountain sculpture.

Landseer 06-18-2007 12:07 AM

These two larger than life limestone carvings are on the facade of Rockefeller Center, NYC not far above eye level.
Circa 1930 leaving nothing to imagination;

evaldart 06-18-2007 11:49 AM

I recall a group of teenagers admiring that work as I coffee'd myself on the sidewalk there. I laughed out loud as one of them exclaimed "daaaamn bro, thats booty-licious". I looked at the relief with new eyes. Indeed it was.

fritchie 06-18-2007 07:33 PM

Pretty well-fed thighs, both women and men.

Landseer 06-18-2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fritchie
Pretty well-fed thighs, both women and men.

LOL you noticed that too? they look a little chunky or Michelin tire man-ish.

Odd sculptures, and they are right there on the facade in midtown Manhattan in a very busy area with lots of people and traffic, and ST Patrics cathedral is nearby as well if not across the street.

gschnapp 06-19-2007 10:11 AM

I am relieved they are not lion balls.

Greg

Merlion 06-19-2007 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landseer
Odd sculptures, and they are right there on the facade in midtown Manhattan in a very busy area with lots of people and traffic, and ST Patrics cathedral is nearby as well if not across the street.

Double standard !! Not fair !! Accepted in NYC and not accepted in other places like Loveland. :)

sculptor 06-19-2007 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merlion
Double standard !! Not fair !! Accepted in NYC and not accepted in other places like Loveland. :)

Maybe not a double standard

Maybe, just maybe, in new york they've learned to ignore the loud mouthed loonies?

fritchie 06-19-2007 07:33 PM

[quote=Landseer]LOL you noticed that too? they look a little chunky or Michelin tire man-ish./QUOTE]

The boy in the right photo very much has Michelin legs. I had that same thought about him. He's probably worst among the group, to my taste. I haven't checked into the sculptor, though Rockefeller must have chosen popular artists. Is that part of his/her style, or are these exaggerations for the Center?

Merlion 06-19-2007 08:32 PM

At the same Rockefeller Center, NYC, is this bas relief nude more acceptable?

evaldart 06-19-2007 09:10 PM

This one is definitely lower in relief, less in-your-face, less booty-licious. And its gilded...takes something away from the figuration makes you think more about its ornamental qualitites. Opulent or excessive...in a good way.

Landseer 06-20-2007 01:37 AM

Quote:

The boy in the right photo very much has Michelin legs. I had that same thought about him. He's probably worst among the group, to my taste. I haven't checked into the sculptor, though Rockefeller must have chosen popular artists. Is that part of his/her style, or are these exaggerations for the Center?

The boy has a very stiff odd posture that reminds me of a marionette!
I don't like him at all. I think the best figure of the bunch is the nude male's back

I don't know if that was the sculptor's style or that was just a poorly done piece, the building complex was built 1930-1939 right in the Art Deco period so some may be style.

The complex used a few sculpors but I believe the sculptor of this was Lee Lawrie and he studied with Augustus St-Gaudens. Lee did the bulk of the artwork but not all of it so it may not be his work.

I found a pic of another sculpure like this there, odd thing is all of the figures were done in such a way that a hanging arm of one visually covered the genitals of another, while another has a small piece of cloth or drapery covering, and others are standing in such a way that one's hips or leg covers another's genitals, yet, ONE female figure has full frontal nudity which kind of negates the other's "modesty", not sure what the reason was.

Here's a couple of others;

http://flickr.com/photos/wallyg/4518...7600056966734/
http://flickr.com/photos/15937237@N0...efellercenter/

Landseer 06-20-2007 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gschnapp
I am relieved they are not lion balls.

Greg

Well gosh, funny you mention that!

look!! another sculpture there just happens to HAVE lion balls in the group, here's the amazing photo!

evaldart 06-20-2007 08:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a big nude out at the Tennis Center in Queens, NY. Arthur Ashe memorial by...Eric Fischl (the painter). He has never bee afaraid to misuse nudity in his painting to add some punch. I feel the same is happening here. Its stylized enough that no one seems to mind. I doubt that Ashe was fond of playing tennis in the nude, doesn't serve the purpose as a memorial. Another example, I suppose, of a famous painter's "sculptor envy".

madrabbitwoman 06-20-2007 09:33 AM

I don't expect everyone to agree, but this is my view;

Someone wrote "por·nog·ra·phy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pôr-ngr-f) n.
Sexually explicit pictures, writing, or other material whose primary purpose is to cause sexual arousal."

I reckon that just about sums up the Koon man's "art" - my personal opinion is that he tries to call it art to expose (sorry) it to a wider audience, or a cheap trick to try to force the world to accept what is acceptable where he lives (is it??) is as acceptable as everyone else's.

I wonder what the reaction would be if an artist from a more relaxed (about these things) country published artistic nudity on a site or displayed a nude sculpture in a strict Muslim or other (please excuse my ignorance) more conservative area? I guess we all have to respect the cultural differences in the world? :confused:

It bugs me that so many "artists" really just do whatever is necessary to get a controversial reaction, perhaps to boost their profile up a bit. I'm all for controversial art like that of the disable pregnant lady (controvercy for a purpose - to raise awareness and acceptance of the differences and struggles she has, to improve the world a bit), but gratuatous photos of people's bits, or art aimed purely to distress the audience, is not, in my opinion, art.

One thing I would like to point out - I am on my lunch break at work, and I could very well get fired for what just popped up on my screen - I wonder if my boss's would believe I was looking as genuine art?! :mad: Perhaps a warning next time...? :(

I'm sorry to be so strong but isn't art something that defines us humans as civilised? :rolleyes:

fritchie 06-20-2007 08:27 PM

The Arthur Ashe piece can't possible be a portrait of Ashe, by any exaggeration of the meaning. Ashe's pictures, as I remember them, were of a rather thin man, and my impression is that he also more or less avoided publicity. The artist chose to use complete license in that case, it seems to me. And it's probably better art than a true portrait (in tennis clothing) would be.

evaldart 06-22-2007 08:56 AM

Quote:

The Arthur Ashe piece can't possible be a portrait of Ashe, by any exaggeration of the meaning. Ashe's pictures, as I remember them, were of a rather thin man, and my impression is that he also more or less avoided publicity. The artist chose to use complete license in that case, it seems to me. And it's probably better art than a true portrait (in tennis clothing) would be.

Though he occasionally produces odd and exciting paintings and his brushy brand of figuration sometimes accidentally hits its mark, Fischl would probably not venture portraiture. Likeness are not his stregth, ESPECIALLY in sculpture. I would imagine he had plenty of well-paid help in bringing this about. He has painted nude athletes before (his baseball player being an amusing success) But in the public context his use of nudity is forced to become disarmed...maybe more fun than another pretentiously "proud" figure memorial, a twelve foot etched granite base with a bronze six foot chin-brandishing cherry on top.
Maybe it was just fun for him to work outside his usual medium, create something for once that could not be stashed under the bed.

Landseer 06-22-2007 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madrabbitwoman
I don't expect everyone to agree, but this is my view;

Someone wrote "por·nog·ra·phy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pôr-ngr-f) n.
Sexually explicit pictures, writing, or other material whose primary purpose is to cause sexual arousal."

I wonder what the reaction would be if an artist from a more relaxed (about these things) country published artistic nudity on a site or displayed a nude sculpture in a strict Muslim or other (please excuse my ignorance) more conservative area? I guess we all have to respect the cultural differences in the world? :confused:

I found an interesting 19th century artist who illustrated erotic books under pen name Paul Avril, I forget how I found his name/work, I was probably either searching "pan" or "goat" and found an image gallery with quite a few well done illustrations for a book. The illustrations were for a book from 1900 of sexual situations, but done in an old world style with a lot of muted pastel colors, rich backgrounds full of accessory details in the rooms- furniture, wall decor etc all very interestingly done without a trace of gore, grossness or just plain sleaze to be shocking. I like how he depicted the scenes which in a way remind me of wall murals or wallpaper.

The link which contains nudes in various sex acts is NOT work/school company of minors safe;

http://www.arterotismo.com/PaulAvril/index.htm

Tlouis 06-23-2007 10:39 AM

I can remember reading, some years ago, that some, tho not all sculptures at Rockerfeller Center were by Gaston Lachaise. He of the super zoftig boobs, belly and butt school. No doubt he was influenced by his wife's more than ample proportions.

Lou

Landseer 06-23-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tlouis
I can remember reading, some years ago, that some, tho not all sculptures at Rockerfeller Center were by Gaston Lachaise.

Lou

There were a few artists who worked on this project, and what I read didn't conclusively attribute every specific work to a particular artist, though a few were, so it can be a little challenge to figure out and just going by "style" and likelyhood on some of them.

fritchie 06-23-2007 07:56 PM

All the works of Gaston Lachaise I know are much more "stylized", though very busty and hippy as you say. Though I can remember only cast works at this point. I doubt these are his, but possibly he made some sketches that were executed by stonemasons.

That work method, though, seems unlikely in context. Most work at that site probably was detailed fully by an acknowledged sculptor, even if executed by masons.

Merlion 06-26-2007 09:17 AM

Don't ask me if this is nude art. :)

It is if he is an artist. Nude performance art.

Nude Bather Arrested at Rome's Spanish Steps

June 24, 2007, A 22-year-old American man was arrested on Sunday after an early morning naked bath in the historic Barcaccia fountain at the foot of Rome's Spanish Steps, an Italian news agency reported.

The man stripped and bathed in the 17th century Baroque fountain in front of a crowd of tourists, before being led away by police, AGI news agency said.

He faces charges of committing an obscene act, it said.....

evaldart 06-26-2007 09:44 PM

I knew an artist who made somewhat attractive abstract-expressionist wallpieces out of chewed-upubble-gum. He showed up nude at his opening at the Jersey City Museum, back when it was housed at the public Library. He seemed to be delighted at how everyone pretended not to notice that he was unclothed...they all fancied themselves too hip to be ruffled. But he played them all real good...made sure to gesture rowdily as he spoke to the art crowd, jangling as thier faces strained under their discomfort. He later tried to pull this act off accross the river at White Columns but it was passe there. The guy seemed to fade away after that - birthday suit traded-in for some kind of uniform and a paycheck.

Landseer 06-27-2007 01:36 AM

Here's another panel on a building in Paris by Antoine Sartorio with an African/Arabian theme, the lady's um, ... 'jugs' really jump out, they look like 2/3rds of a traffic light and the first thing you see;

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=251407759&size=l