Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net

Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net (http://www.sculpture.net/community/index.php)
-   Happenings and featured members (http://www.sculpture.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   New Addition to Skokie Sculpture Park (http://www.sculpture.net/community/showthread.php?t=10411)

tonofelephant 09-17-2010 06:29 AM

New Addition to Skokie Sculpture Park

4 Attachment(s)
A great new exhibition & meeting opportunity.

Have been accepted into the Northshore Sculpture, in Skokie - near Chicago, for a 3 year hitch. http://www.sculpturepark.org/ The sculpture chosen was Aria. Aria is one of my favorites. Am looking forward to going out there.

Aria will be installed on Thursday, Sept. 23 at 10 am in Skokie Sculpture Park. If you would like to meet up for coffee, pm me at sculpture@wsggallery.com by Tuesday Sept. 21.

Also would appreciate your input on any good hotels to stay at while in Skokie/Chicago that are like a Hilton with a Motel 6 price? Would especially enjoy an indoor pool.

A photo of Aria is below. Aria is 9" x 15" x 40". She will be placed on a 18" x 18" x 24" tall pedestal (I am providing)

GlennT 09-17-2010 08:44 AM

Re: New Addition to Skokie Sculpture Park

Congratulations Carl! I've driven past that park and your work will improve the quality trememdously.

Can't recommend any hotels, as I have stayed with friends when visiting, but I can recommend a great Chicago deep dish pizza so you can let your east coast friends with their greasy kid stuff know what they are missing.

Gino's East, Pizzeria Uno or Pizzeria Due, or closer to where you will be, Lou Malnari's....and you can bring some extra back as a care package for the deep-dish-starved masses.

evaldart 09-17-2010 09:45 AM

Congrats Carl. I have heard good things about that park. Perhaps I'll throw-in for that one next year (as I reach ever westward with my message of metal mayhem:D). Do they help with any expenses?

tonofelephant 09-17-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Perhaps I'll throw-in for that one next year (as I reach ever westward with my message of metal mayhem). Do they help with any expenses?
Yeah Evald, they give you $2,000 total for the 3 year stay. You should just about break even after taxes, driving expenses, etc. since you are 900 miles away.

Am angling to see if they can also throw in a night or two at the Doubletree or equiv. After driving 700 miles like to float around in a pool, maybe with a glass of vodka sitting on my belly & relax. Motel 6 appeals to my budget, but Doubletree to my inflated sense of what I am worth.

Am excited about being there since I have this knawing itch to keep returning to Chicagoland. Last tme it was to Algonquin.

suburbanartists 09-17-2010 01:29 PM

Congrats. Take some good pics of Aria installed and the rest of the park if you can. Looking forward to seeing it.

2 g's and 3 years.... i like the sound of that. They are paying you and it will be representing you in the midwest for free. Also opening up more of your studio space. Drive safe.

evaldart 09-18-2010 01:38 PM

Carl, you might consider shipping it. I just sent a 12 x 3 x 3 foot 600 lb crate to South Dakota for 650 bucks Yellow Trucking (YRC). My plane fare for the install was only 400 round trip, lodging 100 bucks for 2 nights. No wear and tear on the vehicle either.

Julianna 09-19-2010 11:20 AM

Congratulations! I love Aria--- a fine piece, especially for the location.

Try Expedia for hotel prices. I booked my last four trips through them with excellent results, including a room at the Hyatt in Osaka, Japan for $130/night instead of $500/night!

tonofelephant 09-19-2010 03:53 PM

Hi Eval
Quote:

Carl, you might consider shipping it. I just sent a 12 x 3 x 3 foot 600 lb crate to South Dakota for 650 bucks Yellow Trucking (YRC). My plane fare for the install was only 400 round trip, lodging 100 bucks for 2 nights. No wear and tear on the vehicle either.
I really don't want to ship it. Been wanting to make a roadtrip, that was semi-fun, for awhile. Besides, hate to admit it, just love going through Ohio & Indiana. Must be a corn-fed orphan/escapee who was adopted by some nice people from DC 40+ years ago. Has to be the only explanation for loving the wide open spaces of corn & flat land.

Quote:

Congratulations! I love Aria--- a fine piece, especially for the location.

Try Expedia for hotel prices. I booked my last four trips through them with excellent results, including a room at the Hyatt in Osaka, Japan for $130/night instead of $500/night!
Hi Juliana. Nice to have you back on the BB. Thank you for the compliment. I am excited about getting to Skokie & meeting the founders & some of their board.

Actually found the best rates on the Best Western corporate site for Richmond IN (outside of Indianpolis) - $72/night & the best rates for Elk Grove, IL (a little west of Skokie) @ $57/night on Travelocity. Both have indoor pools for the lanky-legged lardoon from WV floating on his back with a tumbler of vodka resting on his chest. Am loking forward to it.

Carl

Aaron Schroeder 09-20-2010 07:29 PM

Was in Skokie last weekend ( dropping my son Sage off at Northwestern...school of journalism ) and stayed at the Holiday Inn on Touhy. Got the room for $57 a night on Hotwire.com which is always a crap shoot. It was alright. Ate at IM Thai Cuisine ( also on Touhy just a few blocks east of the Hotel ) ...it was very good.

The Comfort Inn ( $99 a night ) was also Ok and right off the exit.

Good Luck, Have Fun.

tonofelephant 09-26-2010 03:52 PM

Back from Skokie. Great place to visit. Installation crew was very professional and well-prepared and made for a fabulous installation.

Here is Aria installed in the Northshore Sculptur Park: http://www.sculpturepark.org/images/.../sc_wright.jpg

Also noticed that Sam Spiczka, another Sculpture.net member has a sculpture there. http://www.sculpturepark.org/images/...sc_spiczka.jpg

On a side note, driving in Chicago is a whole different experience from driving in DC. Was driving home after the install through Chicago at 11 am; the driving experience was akin to peak rush hour in DC. Cannot imagine the fun of a real rush hour in Chicago.

Carl

suburbanartists 09-27-2010 09:17 AM

Nice picture.

And i see Sam's piece is in the park's utube promo.
http://www.sculpturepark.org/

tonofelephant 09-30-2010 07:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some photos of the install and the aftermath.

Aaron Schroeder 11-15-2010 12:39 AM

Saw tonofelephant's sculpture in the park this weekend. Didn't even have to get out of my car which is the great thing about this park. Just slowed down as I drove on by. One of these days I'm going to park and do the walk and see it up close. Felt a internet/random journey connection which was novel and nice.