Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net

Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net (http://www.sculpture.net/community/index.php)
-   Happenings and featured members (http://www.sculpture.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The Cheese Stands Alone (http://www.sculpture.net/community/showthread.php?t=8211)

cheesepaws 09-08-2008 12:20 PM

The Cheese Stands Alone

Here are a few pics from the installation and opening reception of a solo show of my latest works. 27 pieces, all plastic and paint on canvas, and all wall hung like paintings. Had a pretty good turn out. Glad it is all over. Exhausted.

chris 71 09-08-2008 01:55 PM

Re: The Cheese Stands Alone

way to go cheesepaws looks great i am drawn to the one on the right side in the middle do you have a closer picture of it

Tlouis 09-08-2008 05:05 PM

Fine looking show, spare and very elegant. But...plastic and paint? C'mon, cheespaws, I know gorgonzola when I see it. No wonder you're exhausted. You must have been running around frantically trying to keep the viewers from eating the art.:)

Aaron Schroeder 09-08-2008 05:14 PM

Great looking show, love it all.

grommet 09-08-2008 05:20 PM

How come they're mostly not lookin' at the art? Oh yeah, because it's really a wine with Cheese party.

StevenW 09-08-2008 05:41 PM

Cheese is that you in the grid paper lookin shirt next to the sandanista rebel chick? That'd be my edumacated guess.

Congrats on a job well done, it's simple, clean and nice.

Grommet, everyone know's only artists look at the work and the rest of em just go there to be seen. :)

cheesepaws 09-08-2008 05:58 PM

Thanks to all for the kind words. Oddly - no cheese at this opening (ironic?). I did buy some of those orange cheesy/peanut butter crackers (Toe-cheeze) for the gallery - but I think they chickened out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris 71 (Post 64621)
way to go cheesepaws looks great i am drawn to the one on the right side in the middle do you have a closer picture of it

Sure.

chris 71 09-08-2008 06:16 PM

thanks cheese i had to look at it for just a short while before i could see a ghostly graveyard of planes in a great Magnetic cloud in the sky like it ;)

rika 09-08-2008 09:00 PM

I love the works, classy presentation. Congratulations!

craigktx 09-08-2008 10:11 PM

i like the close up pic too, looks like my room when i was a kid and we just
got threw breaking all the toys and spilled coolaid all over them.
cool stuff cheese.:D

Julianna 09-14-2008 08:33 AM

Very cool. I, too, want to get in for a closer look.

Have you heard of the Gigapan? One of the artists in my building just picked one up, and photographed another artist's exhibition (with permission):
http://gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?i...dow_width=1265

Your work would work really well with that. Where's the show?

obseq 09-30-2008 01:23 AM

Cheesepaws,

I'm a little late on this, but these are the sort of works that deserve a second/third/fourth look.
Some really innovative, well-crafted pieces.

Most of these examples you shared remind me of strategic satellite imaging/mapping carried out by the military.

cheesepaws 09-30-2008 06:40 AM

Thanks for the kind words O.

In these works I was thinking a lot about landscape/structure relationships so your reference to strategic satellite imaging/mapping is dead on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julianna (Post 65067)
Have you heard of the Gigapan? One of the artists in my building just picked one up, and photographed another artist's exhibition (with permission):

Cool!! I had a professional shoot the show and I am expecting to get the image disc in the mail today. Ran me $300 - which is reasonable - but I have never used this guy before. He comes highly recommended but you never know.

I really like that word Gigapan....Gigapan...Gigapan...Gigapan.

suburbanartists 09-30-2008 09:57 AM

Where is the show?

evaldart 09-30-2008 04:28 PM

Yeah, Cheese...where is it...some of us have NYC access passes.

cheesepaws 10-01-2008 06:42 AM

What, and risk my anonymity! :eek:

suburbanartists 10-01-2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesepaws (Post 66252)
What, and risk my anonymity! :eek:

So you'd rather us see online pics of your show than see it in person?
Sorry dude but that's weak. And as a juror of others' shows, that makes it even worse.

I hope you are just kidding....

If not........Get some stones!

If so, address please.......... Thanks Sub

GlennT 10-01-2008 02:06 PM

My guess is Sheboyggan, Michigan.

Although it may be a bit too subtle for my tastes, I too like the one with the pile of war toys atop the cloud of destruction.

cheesepaws 10-03-2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanartists (Post 66253)
So you'd rather us see online pics of your show than see it in person? Sorry dude but that's weak. And as a juror of others' shows, that makes it even worse.

I hope you are just kidding....

If not........Get some stones!

Hey! Leave my (cheese)balls out of it!

I know that this has been discussed at length before - some of us have reasons for not wanting our actual names being linked to this forum (and our posts) through a simple google search. My own motivation for lying low has something to do with some angry Bolivian art dealers Ė but I canít go into details.

I just got some new photos of the show - I will post a few more shots of individual works soon.

tonofelephant 10-03-2008 10:01 AM

Fromage,

Are you in trouble with the Bolivians for imported llama cheese?

Carl

cheesepaws 10-03-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonofelephant (Post 66363)
Fromage,

Are you in trouble with the Bolivians for imported llama cheese?

Carl

SShhhhhhhhh....keep your voice down.

Since you asked....you lookin' to score a little "Llama Limburger"?

If so knock twice and ask for El Quesopatos.

;)

cheesepaws 10-03-2008 12:13 PM

As promised - a few more images.

I think I overpaid my photographer!

davo 10-03-2008 12:31 PM

Goodonya fella! Whether you are there or not doesn't matter. Who gives a flying ..... Though if you had turned up in a mask ala TISM (a vastly underrated great aussie band) that would have been impressive. Anonimity and publicity in one!

StevenW 10-03-2008 12:32 PM

That's cool Cheese, I was just a little kid during Vietnam, but I sat on my dad's lap and watched it on T.V. every night and we used to take our models and G.I. Joe's and set them up in the dirt and make big battles and torchem with gasoline simulating napalm air strikes. Looked just like these except they all had dirt on em. :)

GlennT 10-03-2008 02:44 PM

When we were in jr. high a friend and I used to take the model cars I built and burn them. We then buried the remains in the narrow space between his appartment building and the next one. We may have exhumed one or two a year later to note if any significant decomposition or other interesting effects had occurred. (short answer, no. But it did bring back the memory of the event) Also as a pre-teen I tried exhuming the Lake Michigan crayfish erstwhile pet I buried in the backyard, but could not relocate him. The honey suckle bushes must have already processed him into flowers.

I suppose the model car graveyard still remains intact today, visited only by earthworms and roots.

Those are the long forgotten memories stirred up by the model car pieces.