Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net

Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net (http://www.sculpture.net/community/index.php)
-   New Technologies (http://www.sculpture.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Sculpture CD's, anyone? (http://www.sculpture.net/community/showthread.php?t=952)

fritchie 06-09-2004 10:11 PM

Sculpture CD's, anyone?

Itís got to happen sooner or later, and probably sooner. Just tonight, at the next table three musicians, clearly from out-of-town, were discussing recordings. New Orleans has been heavily promoting itself as a music center for probably a half-dozen years now, as a sort of Nashville for jazz, but the local scene is much more varied than jazz. Iím more visual than audial, so I donít watch the scene much (as if I have time, just trying each day to get some studio time), but national news in general is hot on self-produced CDís of all sorts, because of fast-dropping production costs.

A sculpture CD almost certainly would be a multimedia affair, hopefully with the sculpture being centerstage. If the sculpture is mobile, great! If not, a video once-around, or multi-around, depending on how dizzy you want to make the spectator. With fades? And music, of course! Classical in my case, but pop, country, jazz, hardrock, ...? And maybe a ballet underlay or overlay?

ExNihiloStudio 06-12-2004 09:32 PM

Re: Sculpture CD's, anyone?

I've been thinking about a video portfolio for quite awhile. Something on CD. It would add time and a greater sense of space than a set of static views would. Would a soundtrack be tacky? It could make it or break it. If you sent it somewhere such as a gallery, would anyone watch it? How about a movie about your art?

ExNihiloStudio 06-18-2004 09:15 PM

Does anybody know anything about getting or using music rights? I'm assuming that if you make a CD portfolio with background music from your favorite CD you'd have to get permission from the copyright holder to be completely legal.

sculptor 07-02-2004 11:48 PM

reads like a major career move----------
once upon a time, and a long time ago it was,

I sat through an intro to art ....(day one)
45 minutes and 1350 slides of what the prof thought the most significant 1350 works of art and I was exhausted

I nudged my sleeping neighbor and staggered out into the light of day

my dreams o'er the next few nights were darned exciting

fritchie 07-04-2004 11:25 PM

Re: Sculpture CD's, anyone?; community resources

I tossed this Sculpture CD ball in the air to see where it would go. I saw from the beginning that these would be difficult for individual sculptors to produce, but I do think they will become common.

They can offer a way for individual sculptors, sculpture associations, or galleries to broaden markets. They can offer museums a way to increase visibility of collections, and they can offer individuals, schools, and libraries a way to enrich their own visual resources.

I would suggest that anyone wanting to take this further look into working with a regional sculpture group or a local university. Community-sponsored video centers ought to be adapting for CD production about now, if they arenít already doing this

Specifically, they have had to face the music-copyright issue for many years and should be able to help with that issue. University video or theater departments also probably could help.

And, the new ISC Executive Director has extensive background with copyright matters. Perhaps ISC could offer aid to individuals or groups in these matters.

ironman 07-07-2004 10:29 AM

Hi everyone, I have a friend who runs a successful small business and she carries copies of CD's of her web site and gives them out to almost anyone who shows the slightest interest in what she does! I don't know if it gets her much business but the first thing I did when I got home (right after meeting her) was put that CD in my computer and watch it! A marketing tool? Maybe!

Araich 07-07-2004 05:39 PM

I produce CD's of my shows... but I have learnt to keep it simple. Compatibility issues are a real problem for multimedia. Even something as simple as auto-play gets complex if you account for both PC and MAC users with varying versions.
So the judgement I have made is to simply place screen resolution images of the show in the root, along with a copyright and explanation notes - all in a simple text file. Then 2 folders, one with print resoultion images of the show, the other with approx 100 previous works at screen resolution.
It may not be flashy, but it is idiot proof. Most users can then use their local software to see as thumbnails or as a slideshow or what ever.
I print a nice CD label, and run off a stack for the gallery and for press release stuff.

If I had a video camera, I might also add a movie to the root.

JAZ 07-09-2004 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Araich
I produce CD's of my shows... but I have learnt to keep it simple. Compatibility issues are a real problem for multimedia. Even something as simple as auto-play gets complex if you account for both PC and MAC users with varying versions.
So the judgement I have made is to simply place screen resolution images of the show in the root, along with a copyright and explanation notes - all in a simple text file. Then 2 folders, one with print resoultion images of the show, the other with approx 100 previous works at screen resolution.
It may not be flashy, but it is idiot proof. Most users can then use their local software to see as thumbnails or as a slideshow or what ever.
I print a nice CD label, and run off a stack for the gallery and for press release stuff.

If I had a video camera, I might also add a movie to the root.

You continue to impress me, Robert. It's no surprise why you are so successful.
Do you need an apprentice? (Joking about that of course. It's kind of a long walk and swim.) But truthfully I could learn a lot by watching you in action.
JAZ

sculptorsam 07-09-2004 03:44 PM

So, if I save a disk on my PC with a Microsoft text file and JPEGs, MAC users can see them as well? And can't we just get all these programmers in a room, force them to duke it out, and the winner gets to set the standard for compatibility?!

Julianna 07-09-2004 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculptorsam
So, if I save a disk on my PC with a Microsoft text file and JPEGs, MAC users can see them as well? And can't we just get all these programmers in a room, force them to duke it out, and the winner gets to set the standard for compatibility?!

I think TIFF format is readable by both PCs and MACs, and the quality is better than JPEG.

Plain text files (e.g. TXT) should be readable by PCs and MACs. Anything else (RTF, DOC, etc) usually require program-specific capabilities. HTML might be a good way to get around things, if you have a word-processing program which can convert your document into HTML for you. That way, you can format things better than in plain text.

I'm not sure about whether a CD made on a PC can be read on a MAC, but I can find out if someone's interested (rather, I can find out sooner if someone's interested ;)).

I agree about having the tech wizzards duke it out!

RuBert 07-09-2004 05:15 PM

The Mac can (in general) read all the image files fine.

If you get to the point where you want to test your CD on a Mac I could do that for you, but you probably will have more problems getting it to work on the various versions of Windows. By the way, PowerPoint files have been a completely seamless exchange between the Mac and Windows for me.

The SP2 version of Windows XP that is coming next month will be downloaded by most everyone to fix the very bad Windows Internet Explorer vulnerability that you may have seen warnings about. However, I hear it will turn off the auto-play setting for a cd, so that could stop certain presentations also.

Julianna 07-23-2004 06:07 PM

Russ: I didn't know MACs could handle all sorts of image files... I guess the imaging place to which I send my stuff wants in in TIFF format for quality and not compatability?

I did find something about the actual file structure necessary for the CD (http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq03.html#S3-35)... kind of obscure, even for this tech junkie. I think one basically needs to set the CD-burning software to either use the "level 1 ISO-9660" file system or a "HFS/ISO-9660 hybrid" system.

After some investigating in Nero, it looks like the level 1 ISO-9660 is standard, but a hybrid CD requires "an SCSI hard drive with an HSF partition" to be "connected to the PC".... Which sounds like you'd need two hard drives: one with a Windows folder format and another with a MAC/HSF folder format....

Is there anyone out there who understands computers on that level and could explain this for us?

Toby 08-06-2004 11:28 PM

Bog standard == platform-independant

Go for 'ISO-9660', anything fancier will not always be readable on other platforms+architectures. Also known as 'Joliet' file system. I must admit to knowing little about the mac's filesystem, but if a mac can read anything off the internet, it can read all the same formats from a CD. Does'nt guarantee any propritary Microsoft format. Linux users buy art too, well no.. they create and distribute it for free and spend the next ten years touching it up (sorry, _inline nerd reference). So stuff like macromedia, flash, shockwave, cascading style sheets, etc will all work.. ask redrajah.
I'm sorta surprised that more people don't use CD's. You can bung hundreds of dollars/euros worth of developed slides on one CD worth 50c.
Personally I got fed up copying slides and losing them to irresponsible galleries, etc. I only use jpegs in folders and text files but I think that a .html
page with thumbnails is a pretty readable/reuseable format. You can also stick on those little digital camera videos which eat up your batteries and memory card. To be honest though, they are the best medium of conveying a sense of a 3-d object on a 2-d screen.
Well the arts council of Ireland accept them anyway, good luck.. :)

wasn'tme 05-07-2005 10:07 PM

think that you have hit on an idea that would be interesting to tackle. while i am on here has anyone heard of a guy that grew sculpture from running an electrical charge thru sea water and plating steel with the heavy metals in the water. I was told about him once but don't remember his name thanks

fritchie 05-08-2005 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasn'tme
think that you have hit on an idea that would be interesting to tackle. while i am on here has anyone heard of a guy that grew sculpture from running an electrical charge thru sea water and plating steel with the heavy metals in the water. I was told about him once but don't remember his name thanks

Can't comment on this, but I read during my chemistry years about a decade or two ago that people were considering recovery of gold, platinum and other valuable metals by electrolysis (your process) on seawater. The amounts present, overall, are astounding, but metals are so dilute that no one has found a commercial method.

Manganese, on the other hand, a valuable steel additive, precipitates naturally in the ocean, and was recovered quite extensively, though still experimentally, in the eastern Pacific about twenty years ago. Since that time, ďblack smokersĒ, or undersea volcanic vents, have been found to be sources of deposits such as this, but Iím not sure if they are the only source.

We always need to keep our eyes open for opportunity!

Shara 05-18-2005 09:36 PM

Back to original topic, I had a curator of a great small alternative space here tell me that he hated receiving submissions on CD. It takes no technology, electricity, or file compatibility to hold a clear plastic slide sleeve up into the light and get an idea of what is being offered. Of course if someone asks to see your work, it's a little different. But for those of us in the "emerging" boat, I'd be careful about presuming on someone's time and energy to sit down with an electronic portfolio.

fritchie 05-18-2005 10:29 PM

Re: Sculpture CD's, anyone? - Conceptual ballet?

Shara - You're probably right about this matter of presenting slides rather than an electronic format as unsolicited material to galleries. However, this forum has gotten quite a number of posts from people on ways of making these first contacts.

Several people say they have made CDís of their work and mailed them, in a broadcast sort of way, to all galleries within a hundred miles or so. That in less-populated areas. Many galleries simply refuse to look at unsolicited material of any sort, but may investigate after agreeing to a personal interview.

My impression is that the gallery situation varies all over the map, and especially in different parts of the country. Clearly, I was being a little facetious in the original post, and drawing attention to new technology as much as to means of self-promotion.

I see this sort of multi-media venue potentially as a new form of sculpture, say as a sort of conceptual ballet. Not for me just now, and probably never, but I expect new students might be drawn to this. Sculptural forms generated within a computer, probably kinetic, and likely with a musical or other sound component.

Blake 05-20-2005 02:41 AM

I have used CDs for several years and find that they best serve the Press. I have had great photos printed in the Press because I included a JEPG file of my portfolio with MS Word and TXT files of the any documentation such as CVs and accompanying text. (TIFF is usually too big a file). So for Press Releases or Kits a CD works wonderfully, don't send big emails or the journalist may be upset with you for clogging up their inbox. If you use a power point presentation for the Press keep it short.
I do not own any slides of my work and to have slides made from digital photographs seems to be impossible, so unfortunately any art competition or gallery that asks for slides I have to pass over. There seems to be real resistance to CD technology by some curators, more in the US than Europe is my impression, but I think that it will be the way of the future. Once you have gone digital it is difficult and expensive to go back and compatibility with operating systems is becoming less of an issue.
Blake

A. Dawg 05-25-2005 12:02 AM

I recently applied to several graduate programs using slides and a CD. The CD contained Quicktime movie (.mov) files of my kinetic and performative works featured in my old-style slides. If my sculpture made noise or used sound, I included it; if not, silence. I got into half of the places I applied. Also, Blake, you can get real slides made from dig images easily (but expensive ~$5 ea.) if you have .tiff files, they look good. I have found several local places to do this, and have heard of some places that you e-mail attach the image file and receive a slide via snail-mail.

mtd 05-29-2005 04:11 PM

A quick $.02 on the techy end.
Macs and PC usually can burn hybrid CDs and both should be able to read each other.

I see alot of video "reel" at my CG animation job, CDs and DVDs are becomming very popular now too. CDs are a pain because you have to view them on a computer and DVD's can be viewed on a computer and TV as well.

I think the fine art world seems to be slowly going digital (from slides). Most show applications seem to accept CDs.

So remember to burn the disc hybrid (and slower burn speeds seem to be more stable than faster ones). Also try it out on other computers be for sending it out to the world.

MD