Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net

Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net (http://www.sculpture.net/community/index.php)
-   New Technologies (http://www.sculpture.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   welding corten to stainless (http://www.sculpture.net/community/showthread.php?t=1430)

iron ant 03-23-2005 09:05 AM

welding corten to stainless

I am designing a sculpture that will be corten steel and stainless steel.Have any of you sculptor hounds ever welded the two together with a mig.Would I have to use a tri mix gas?Would you only get one pass before it got too hot and cracked?Also ,is corten more like hot rolled or cold rolled steel when you work it?It seems like corten was used more back in the 70's,hard to find,but cental steel sevices seems to be the place to buy.....

iron ant 03-25-2005 09:26 AM

Re: welding corten to stainless

Hey where's the love.I thought some of you older more experienced sculptors had worked with cor-ten and would share some of it,s properties.I know I can call the welding shop,but thoses dudes are right out of a book.Best way I recond is too find a piece and figure it out hands :p on........

Bill Harsey 08-13-2005 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iron ant
Hey where's the love.I thought some of you older more experienced sculptors had worked with cor-ten and would share some of it,s properties.I know I can call the welding shop,but thoses dudes are right out of a book.Best way I recond is too find a piece and figure it out hands :p on........

Iron Ant,
This is going to be a nice weld to make. I did an outdoor piece down at Southern Oregon University in Ashland called "Edged Wind" that has long edges of type 304 stainless steel welded to corten.
The welding wire was .035 inch dia type 309 and the shield gas was mostly argon, if memory serves.
Type 309 stainless steel welding wire is designed for the welding of dissimilar steels to stainless steels. All my welding on this project was done with a Miller MIG welder. I'm pretty sure the shielding gas I used was 99% argon and 1% oxygen. The price for that bottle of argon sticks in my head.

This is some of the most trouble free welding you will do, stainless weld runs very nice in the corten, make sure you are in a still air setting when running the weld so the shield gas doesn't get blown off the arc and cause unsightly porosity.
Hope this helps.

Bill Harsey 08-13-2005 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iron ant
I am designing a sculpture that will be corten steel and stainless steel.Have any of you sculptor hounds ever welded the two together with a mig.Would I have to use a tri mix gas?Would you only get one pass before it got too hot and cracked?Also ,is corten more like hot rolled or cold rolled steel when you work it?It seems like corten was used more back in the 70's,hard to find,but cental steel sevices seems to be the place to buy.....

Working backwards which is a highly refined skill of mine... Let me look at your first questions now,
Corten is very formable while cold and responds well to cold hammering or breaking (bending) in a press. Corten feels a little softer than hot rolled mild steel when hand forming.
Corten will not heat harden at all so you can weld on it until your out of stainless wire and be just fine.
I'm still pretty sure I used an argon cover gas for my welding of the stainless and corten.
Yes I read the date of your original post on this topic, the work has probably been long finished by now.