Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net

Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net (http://www.sculpture.net/community/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.sculpture.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Who are your Top Ten LIVING Sculptors? (http://www.sculpture.net/community/showthread.php?t=7603)

cheesepaws 05-12-2008 08:06 AM

Who are your Top Ten LIVING Sculptors?

Here are mine. Actually, I found it impossible to edit it down to 10 - so,this is my "baker's dozen" of favorites (in no particular order):

Charles Ray
Katharina Fritsch
Stephen Balkenhol
Janine Antoni
Martin Puryear
Tim Hawkinson
Louise Bourgeois
Chris Burden
Claes Oldenburg
Haim Steinbach
Rachel Whiteread
Robert Morris
Kathryn Spence

oscar 05-12-2008 11:18 AM

Re: Who are your Top Ten LIVING Sculptors?

Me
Me
Me
Me
Me
Me
Me
Me
Me
Me

Ries 05-12-2008 11:33 AM

A legend in his own mind...

Me, I am a big fan of most of your list- although I have my doubts about the "greatness" of Chris Burden.

I would add some of my favorites-
Bill Woodrow
Anish Kapoor
Robert Irwin
Sarah Sze

cheesepaws 05-12-2008 03:04 PM

Burden's Meccano/Erector Set bridges are fantastic. I am also a big fan of his Medusa piece.

suburbanartists 05-12-2008 03:15 PM

Snub on Richard Serra? That won't please some of the boys around here. Some of the people here are getting high up on the list.

cheesepaws 05-12-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanartists (Post 58064)
Snub on Richard Serra? That won't please some of the boys around here. Some of the people here are getting high up on the list.

We have had Serra marketed at us long enough. Does little for me. Maybe he makes the top 25....maybe.:cool:

wolff 05-12-2008 04:10 PM

A few additions off the top of my head...

David Nash
Tony Cragg
Richard Deacon
Gormley
Xu Bing
Kimio Tsuchiya
Hard to find b/c they`re Cuban, but I always like Los Carpinterios

and a craftsman....Sam Maloof.

evaldart 05-12-2008 04:57 PM

Serra is number 1 unquestionably...maybe of ALL time. No amount of marketing can diminish his work. Mere humans cannot possibly understand...let them have their sunglassed celebs and their hollow props. Sorry...but thats the way it is.

Besides, there are TONS of great sculptors out there who have not bothered with the usual institutions or art-rags...relatively unknown. I could easily pick ten you've never heard-of who are better than the "Artforum's greatest hits" crowd.

Nash and Cragg...very nice choices Wolff.

cheesepaws 05-12-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evaldart (Post 58073)
Serra is number 1 unquestionably...maybe of ALL time. No amount of marketing can diminish his work. Mere humans cannot possibly understand...let them have their sunglassed celebs and their hollow props. Sorry...but thats the way it is.

Really? His work can be so dreary and dull. I'll be surprised if he is more than a very brief footnote in future big books-o-art. Each to their own. :)

chris 71 05-12-2008 05:59 PM

cheesepaws sorry if it seems like iam trying to start a fight with you or something. but i just dont get it. i looked at some of the artists works you listed.and i have to think what the hell some of it looks like pieces of shit like actully shit.and some others stuff ethier iam just totally naive blind dumb or what i dont know. but i wonder can anybody just do something like through bags of dogs shit at a canvas and get rich and famous or is there maybe some who you now stuff going on here or what. not that i thought all of people you listed sucked some where were very interesting. but if these are what are considered great artists of our time well i just dont get art and dont think i even like it. i am open to being schooled as to why these are such great artists though if you could explain

Tlouis 05-12-2008 06:14 PM

Serra? Greatest of all time? Man, I think exhaust from your f350 is clouding your mind. Dullsville! Big ain't necessarily good and bigger isn't necessariiy better. If you appreciate BIG, look at some of the work of the great, GREAT, French sculptor Jean Robert Ipousteguy. One of the very , very few greats of the 20th Century. Never heard of him? No wonder! With everyone running mindlessly after flash and glitz and outright SHIT. Think Warhol and Koons.
Lou

ironman 05-12-2008 07:05 PM

Hi, I agree with Evaldart, Serra has got to be on that list and probably, numero uno! Have you people who are putting him down ever been inside or around one of his pieces?
Aren't we talking about "LIVING" artists here, I don't think Ipousteguy is still alive, is he?
Have a great day,
Jeff

cheesepaws 05-12-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris 71 (Post 58082)
cheesepaws sorry if it seems like iam trying to start a fight with you or something. but i just dont get it. i looked at some of the artists works you listed.and i have to think what the hell some of it looks like pieces of shit like actully shit.and some others stuff ethier iam just totally naive blind dumb or what i dont know. but i wonder can anybody just do something like through bags of dogs shit at a canvas and get rich and famous or is there maybe some who you now stuff going on here or what. not that i thought all of people you listed sucked some where were very interesting. but if these are what are considered great artists of our time well i just dont get art and dont think i even like it. i am open to being schooled as to why these are such great artists though if you could explain

No worries. I know not everybody likes the same stuff. Personally I am attracted to content heavy work that doesn't sacrifice formal considerations. On top of that, each of the artists I listed just really move me. I haven't put them forth as "greats" even though most are accepted as being quite good.

Which did you dislike the most? Just curious. Perhaps I can answer your question more fully if I know exactly what you aren't so keen on. I might even be able to show you a work that is stronger than the ones you might be finding on-line.

cheesepaws 05-12-2008 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironman (Post 58085)
Hi, I agree with Evaldart, Serra has got to be on that list and probably, numero uno! Have you people who are putting him down ever been inside or around one of his pieces?

I don't have a huge beef with Serra but I don't pretend he is as relevant as he was with some of his earlier (and smaller) work. The big stuff is impressive for its materiality, but I find it has has weakened in its relationship to architecture and the notion of the monumental (something his earlier work still speaks so strongly to.)

I wonder if walking through/around a Serra would be more rewarding if I wasn’t a sculptor…or, perhaps less?

chris 71 05-12-2008 08:07 PM

[quote=cheesepaws;58086] Personally I am attracted to content heavy work that doesn't sacrifice formal considerations.

iam not even sure i understand what that means. iam just an average joe who likes to make stuff. i can clearly see why some artist are considered great or very good. but when i look up some of the people that seem to have a lot of hype and what not seemingly being talked up about them. and come across something that looks like feces in the corner of a room or dismembered body parts or umbrealls of various colors or even Jesus with an erection or how about a starving dog. i think what is so great about this. is it that they are just so desprate. some were pretty cool i liked the idea of casting an entire room now thats thinking outside the box. but can you tell me what makes some crumbled looking teddy bear or room full of rag doll birds so great or even what is the greatness of a blood head. i know you didnt mention the Jesus or starving dog pieces but i find them simalar to the ones i dont like or dont understand

Ries 05-12-2008 10:21 PM

Chris, why dont you tell us who you DO like.

Nobody brought up the starving dog guy, and in fact, I am not aware of ANYBODY, ANYWHERE, who says he is great- the best you are gonna do is find one or two people, on the whole world wide web, who dislike what he did, but defend his right to do it.

Most of the other stuff you say you dont like, nobody brought up either.

We are discussing who we DO like, and why.

I like Richard Serra.
But I dont think he is the greatest, ever. Kinda monochromatic, if you ask me. Although I have had some pretty transcendent experiences in some of his pieces- but no more, or less, transcendent than I have had in Irwin, or Turrell pieces.
But me, I could never pick ONE greatest, anyway- I like, equally, probably 100 different sculptors.

I saw the Chris Burden Medusa piece when he first did it, back at MOCA in the eighties- and it was OK, but Burden is no kinda craftsman, and it shows in person.
A lot of his stuff is kind of one liners. Clever one liners, but one liners nonetheless- like publishing his check register as a print, or making a bunker in his backyard from bags of cement.
I do like the piece where each visitor to the museum goes thru a turnstile that is hooked up to a jack that is pushing the museum foundations apart, ultimately, supposedly, resulting in the collapse of the museum, but its still a one liner too.

Aaron Schroeder 05-13-2008 01:00 AM

I can't think of ten......but my top two are : Dale Chihuly and Albert Paley.

Most of my favorite sculptors are dead and those that are living can't be considered amongst the top ten, they're just my personnel favorites.

chris 71 05-13-2008 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ries (Post 58094)
Chris, why dont you tell us who you DO like.

i dont think i could even name ten current sculptors i am just ranting on a tangent i will shut up now sorry for stinkin up your thread cheesepaws

evaldart 05-13-2008 06:28 AM

I could write volumes about why the work of Serra is more important than any of the old Art that addresses triflings such as society, architecture, philosophy and aesthetics. But alas I'm a mere sculptor - a man of material undertakings...not my place to be scribbling. Suffice it to say that he is the only Artist who has ever completed his self-determination, overcome Time and Space (those two thwarters of all efforts), presented for all lookers an opportunity to walk into the experiences of their distant descendents, and isolated to great pertinence individuals as they walked amongst hordes. He's done his part...if you do not partake, and would rather gawk at the poorly preserved cadavers of something dead or snicker at witticisms that might validate a blank canvas, it only means you're not ready for the next step. Perhaps your offspring will be.

Aaron, Chuhuly and Paley...very brave endorsement, given their importance to crafters. But I will admit that their technical undertakings and unintimidated approach has made them both a favorite of mine also. So many blacksmiths out there think they got game. But Paley will do their best trick...80 feet tall.

Chris, if you dig around you can usually find something stomachable in the works of any of those artists mentioned by Cheese...but in general, the biggest problem with them all is that those sculptors are making Art that too consciously responds to to the direction of a cursed "current-ness" that demands them to be always "new"...causing fleeting sensations that arrive in the world via glossy pages...too fragile to withstand actual viewing for very long. But their followers in the schools and Chelsea coffee shops will fan their flames.

cheesepaws 05-13-2008 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evaldart (Post 58102)
Chris, if you dig around you can usually find something stomachable in the works of any of those artists mentioned by Cheese...but in general, the biggest problem with them all is that those sculptors are making Art that too consciously responds to to the direction of a cursed "current-ness" that demands them to be always "new"...causing fleeting sensations that arrive in the world via glossy pages...too fragile to withstand actual viewing for very long. But their followers in the schools and Chelsea coffee shops will fan their flames.

Evaldart! I'm surprised at you - did you read my list? Most of the artists have well established careers in excess of 20 years...and a few much, much longer! This is hardly the "flash in the pan" crowd who are just responding to current sales trends. If anything, their work dictate the trends that others emulate. It saddens me that you are so dismissive of what I find such exciting work. Oh, well - to each their own.

More importantly - Serra? The "only Artist who has ever completed his self-determination, overcome Time and Space." Seriously? You crack me up!

cheesepaws 05-13-2008 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris 71 (Post 58098)
i dont think i could even name ten current sculptors i am just ranting on a tangent i will shut up now sorry for stinkin up your thread cheesepaws

I think it is fine not to like a sculpture for whatever reason you want - the real challenge is not to be dismissive of new work on misinformed biases regarding the sculptor's success, age, working methods, materials or concepts. As long as you are willing to look at new work - any work - and be open to liking things outside of your comfort zone - then your opinions are valid and welcomed by me in this thread.

"Don't stagnate" - I tell myself this everyday! :p

evaldart 05-13-2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesepaws (Post 58104)
Evaldart! I'm surprised at you - did you read my list? Most of the artists have well established careers in excess of 20 years...and a few much, much longer! This is hardly the "flash in the pan" crowd who are just responding to current sales trends. If anything, their work dictate the trends that others emulate. It saddens me that you are so dismissive of what I find such exciting work. Oh, well - to each their own.

More importantly - Serra? The "only Artist who has ever completed his self-determination, overcome Time and Space." Seriously? You crack me up!

I'm here to please.

Cheese, I read the list and I do suppose I over-bunched the flaws of famous artists in general as I see them differing from the abject seriousness and elevated glare of a Serra. I have enjoyed works by many on your list...but I find most of them satisfied in their venturings as time passes...and eventually detached from the things that made them unique., replacing mere "change and whimsy" for "new".

I am yet still mortal, and guilty myself of much of what I see as flaws in other work. But true intensity and a steadfastness to hard work will, I hope, prove to improve upon that.

grommet 05-13-2008 11:44 AM

Quote:

I am yet still mortal, and guilty myself of much of what I see as flaws in other work. But true intensity and a steadfastness to hard work will, I hope, prove to improve upon that.
Is that to say you'll keep pounding the dings out?;)

evaldart 05-13-2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grommet (Post 58115)
Is that to say you'll keep pounding the dings out?;)

No, I'll keep accumulating more and more dings until they all flow together, uninterupted, one big ding, unified in a tried and trued abraisive silkiness - 10,000 grit aiming to duplicate its earned texture (applied by elbow grease) upon everything it touches.

grommet 05-13-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

No, I'll keep accumulating more and more dings
So if you work hard enough, others will have an effect on you?